I Forge Iron

My Anvils secret identity

Hi I brought anvil about a month back and I have been searching sense then for what brand it is with no luck so far.
I was hoping y'all could help.
It looks like at least the base of it was cast(the markings on the base are raised.) but it also appears to be made in 3 pieces(the base,body,face).
the weight is 71 pounds which is marked under the heel on the base(raised)
there is also a mark next to the weight that looks like a "V" or something like that.
Other than that I dont no much more about it.except I have been using it and it works great it has a very nice rebound which makes my forging easier.
It does not ring at all but still works fine. I have heard that cast anvils dont ring(let me know if that true).
Well thats it any help would be great I will try to put on the pictures of it soon.

The basic rule is that an anvil does not need to ring to be a good one---but if it is a brand that *should* ring and *doesn't* something is very very wrong. Also plain cast iron ASO's don't ring and so you need to be more careful about evaluating a "silent anvil"

I'd rate a Fisher right up with the Trenton's and Hay-Budens as far as usability goes; my main shop anvil is a 515# Fisher with a 410# Trenton as backup and to use for things where a thinner heel is needed.

Vulcans are also a steel faced CI bodied anvil; but I rate them much lower in quality than a Fisher; I've sold on all the Vulcan's I've had save for the ones on the wall of shame.

Welcome aboard Roughrider.

If you'll go to the top of the page, click on "User CP" and edit your profile to show your location there's likely someone close enough to you you guys can get together for hands on help.

Some pics of your anvil will make it a lot more likely we can help with it's ID.

Frosty

Hey I thought I would add this bit of info/question.
The man I bought it from said that it was used in a school.can can y'all think of a common school brand?
Does anyone have any ideas about the mark V in the picture?
I cant seem to find any companys that marked there Anvils like that.
Also the anvil has a great rebound about 95%.(I know that probably dont in the help but I thought I would throw that in.)

Thanks for the replys Sask Mark.
I have also heard that vulcans were common in schools.
But most of the vulcans I have seen seem a bit chuncky or not as curved under the heel as my anvil.
Let me know if you disagree sense I have never owned a Vulcan and have only seen a few pictures of them.
Thanks

Thanks for the replys Sask Mark.
I have also heard that vulcans were common in schools.
But most of the vulcans I have seen seem a bit chuncky or not as curved under the heel as my anvil.
Let me know if you disagree sense I have never owned a Vulcan and have only seen a few pictures of them.
Thanks

I tend to agree with you re: the curve under the heel. Also, the Vulcans I have seen tend to have a 'blockier' looking horn than yours does.

I have a quick question.
It looks to me like my anvil was welded in 2 places(the face,the waist).
which means that it was made in 3 pieces.
My question is first the horn on my anvil is a little mushroomed would cast iron mushroom
like that.
also do y'all know of any anvil company that cast at least the base,but not the body and what was the body made of.
Thanks

My 1933 Sodorfors #5 has a HC steel face on a cast steel body, welded in the mold during casting. Painfully loud ring when undamped, it left my ears ringing through plugs and muffs.

I morticed into a spruce block and let it shrink deadening almost all the ring. Now it's loud only at the tip of the horn and heel.

Frosty

Does anyone have the book Anvils In America?
If you do have it would you mind trying to look my anvil up.
So it looks like now that it is not a Vulcan,ThomasPowers you said that your fisher does not have mounting brackets.So could it be a fisher?

I have the book I'll see if I can ID it