I Forge Iron

When is an old forge to far gone to be restored?

Mark G

I just noticed on-line that this weekend there's a farm auction about 20 miles from where I live. And in the pictures what what being auctioned is an "old sheller". Well, from what I can tell it's a old 3 legged rivet forge. I can tell it's missing one leg and I can't get a good view of the blower, but I know the drive gears are gone. Would it be worth it to go and try and fix it up. I don't need a forge. But, was just wondering what everyone out there would do.

9033.attach

If it was me, if it went for a nice price and the pan was intact, I would make a new leg (socket looks good, so it would just be a piece of bent pipe). Then I would figure a way to connect a free-standing blower to the old intake, or just lop off the old blower if the casting was shot. Then use it till I find the parts to restore the works.

Just my opinion,

Rich C

I'd just use it for the tray and put in my own tuyere and air handling equipment.

I'm slowly planning the next forge for my firepot I made from a 1937 banjo rear end axle cover, bought 2 made into jack stands back in the 60's or so and have been using one of them as my primary coal forge firepot for over 20 years just changing the forge "tray" as time goes by.

The next one will be built so the firpot dismounts easilly for travel!

I would say:

1) Tools that were purchased with the intent to fix them tended to accumulate in my shop, waiting for repairs, until I decided to stop accumulating broken tools.

2) A tool is beyond fixing if it costs more in time and money to purchase *and* fix it than to make a new one from scratch.