I Forge Iron

I think this is a Metric to SAE thing

eseemann

So according to the Amazon page for this "Double Flame Jet Turbo Torch Head High Output 17060 BTU+propane MAPP MAP Pro Handheld Torch", Amazon number B0BQLMKFR3 either is someone just using ChatGPT to make a random description OR this is from Krypton. DOUBLE FLAMES: Powerful Double Turbo Flame, heat up to 2372°F (1300°C).High output of 17,060 BTU/hr, consumption rate is 367.6 g/hr (5.0 KW), powerful enough to weld large diameter copper pipes.
17K BTU assumes that it is about 8.5K BTU per pipe. That is more than a Bernzomatic TS8000 from a one pound propane can. I have to wonder if you can safely get that much gas out of a one pound can using  hand held torch. 

1 Litre of propane = 7.08 kWh (kilowatt hours) or 24000 BTU/h. 
1kg of propane = 14.019 kWh (kilowatt hours) or 47300 BTU/h.
1 Gallon of Propane = 27 kWh (Kilowatt Hours) or 91,452 BTU/h

Do these burners mount to a hand bottle or a hose? The plumbers we've had over rarely use a small "Bernzomatic" for butane they haul a small 10lb. propane tank and use a torch on a gas hose. Pre-covid I found a Turbo Torch and hose at a yard sale for a can't refuse $5. I got several tips too, the large one will easily bring my old shop forge to welding temp and the small one works a treat soldering copper plumbing. My old house build torch has a nozzle about the size of a Bernzomatic and with an adaptor you can use a Bernzomatic head on a standard propane hose. 

The Turbo stays in the shop, I can imagine someone trying to solder pipe in the basement and lighting the place on fire before the solder runs. 

Anyway, I assume the above mish mash of descriptions are from marketing writers through a translation program. Have you seen a pic of the double turbo flame torch?  Or the other burner that looks like someone just added what sounded like good words to it's name?

I see them on Amazon, doubles and triples with lots of glowing description, the double is going for about $39.95 and I didn't look at the price on Prime. 

Krypton shows what appear to be identical torches for a few dollars more, $42 and change for the double. 

They just look like two or three burner tubes have been connected in parallel and all the BTU and temp claims are for MAP gas. The expensive spread.

I have no idea if one is worth the money, that depends on what you need.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Anyway, I assume the above mish mash of descriptions are from marketing writers through a translation program.

I don't think the usual drop shippers even bother with that. I think they just cut and paste the handiest description from a similar product. No ""writers" needed.

So these torches are shown on 1 pound bottles. 

I love using the adapter for a 20 pound tank with these small torches. I tend to agree with Mikey98118, they automate as much as they can with these ads. 

I think there is a max BTU/hour you are going to safely get out of a 1 pound bottle and I am guessing it tops out under 10,000 BTU/hour

Yes, that is true, but for short periods it can be exceeded. It takes time for a 16 ounce canister to chill down. Just like racing an engine for short periods, to merge in heavy traffic is expected, but continuing to race that engine is a very bad idea.

Nevertheless, practicality is completely on your side, for these sellers merely compete like carnival barkers for the sucker's attention. No one is dumb enough to think a barker has their interests in mind :rolleyes:

The max you can get out of a map gas bottle is all it can deliver Period. You can NOT draw more than it can deliver, the end of the pickup can't be submerged so it wont discharge liquid. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I find these canister torch-heads a fascinating and irritating subject. The irritation comes from ludicrous advertising, and the difficulty in assuring that you get a quality product; especially as higher prices do not assure better quality from drop-shippers!!!

For some of us, using dual-fuel torch-heads is pretty much of a rabbit hole, leading straight to Frustation Land. However, adding a propane adapter hose, so that a larger refillable gas cylinder can be used, and a stainless steel tube over the torch-head's own stainless steel flame retention nozzle, to keep its thin stainless steel wall from oxidizing away in short order, can make dual-fuel torch-heads viable and efficient for mounting in heating equipment...so long as the torch-head does not leak.

Anyone who successfully runs the gamut of obstacles can end up with a neat little forge burner, with controls thrown in...IF; all others crash and burn.

What can you do to improve your odds? Carefully read customer reviews of both product and seller on Amazon.com. If the product only has a hand full of sales, move on. Some drop-shippers, who are selling junk, can and will just keep  redoing their offers, to get rid of the tail of bad reviews. Welcome to the wild East, Yankee!

Did I mention thick stainless steel enough times to get the message across? Brass torch-heads cannot be efficiently mounted, without melting. Thin stainless steel flame retention nozzles will oxidize away far too quickly, to be economical.

Don't think I'm trying to discourage anyone. I continue to play this game, and find it rewarding; just don't think things are "cut and dried," cause they're not.

So, I looked this torch up on Amazon.com, and it is not a bad design. However, its double tube construction will prevent its being protected with a stainless steel outer tube; this means that it will oxidize away pretty fast, if mounted within a forge. Also, its flame tubes are crimped on their ends. Once those ends oxidize away, the torch will not function properly, unless you can again crimp the ends of the remaining tubes.