I Forge Iron

My first hammer

Bmoney3

Very good for a first hammer, especially with so little experience. The only thing I can see without closer inspection is the fuller marks on the cheeks, not a problem, just doesn’t fit with my personality. Have you heat treated it yet? If so what process did you follow? What’s the weight?

Keep it fun,

David

Welcome aboard Bmoney3 glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a much better chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance.

Pretty nice looking hammer, I'll bet she'll be a beauty once you finish cleaning it up.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you, I have not heat treated it yet. I was planning on quenching in water and throw in the oven somewhere between 350/400 for two hours letting it cool to room temp at the one hour mark. It weighs 2.6lb. It took me a long time to punch and drift so thank you. Punching it was probably the hardest part, its crazy to me how much different it was compared to a mild steal. I never look at anything like that, i know with enough time and patience i can do just about anything. I instead look at what its gonna cost me, so i ordered the blank for $15 and figure at that price if i couldn't manage to make a good usable hammer within ten tries ( since if i was to purchase one already made it would be at least $150) i probably better find something else todo. 

I found 4140 hammer head blanks at Blacksmiths Depot in various sizes. Other sites offer 1040, 1045 and such. I only opened Blacksmith Depot for a quick look. They offered round, square in various sizes and axe blanks. on one page.

Frosty The Lucky.

Bmoney3, don’t forget to normalize it first. Bring it up to non magnetic and let it air cool two or three times. At forging temperatures you get a lot of grain growth. The idea is to bring it just up to the temperature that new grains start to form and by doing this multiple times you end up with a very strong fine grain structure. 

Also even with an oven temper, you should draw the eye back more. Use a torch on the cheeks, or heat your drift in the forge and use the heat transfer from the drift to temper the eye more.

Keep it fun,

David