I Forge Iron

Abrasive Coal Slag Uses

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

If you put your general location in your profile we will be able to give better answers to some of your queries.  This is a world wide forum and as far as we know you could be in Lapland, Kansas or Tasmania.

Coal slag/clinker is basically impure glass because the commonest impurity in the swamps when the coal was being laid down was sand and silt which was washed in.  So, any use of coal slag would be about the same as ground up glass.  It will melt at about the same temperature and will abrade anything softer than itself.  Because the melting point is fairly low, it did melt when the coal was burned, I don't see much use for it as a refactory product which would be exposed to higher temperatures than its melting point.

Ground up to about pea gravel size slag is an excellent medium for traction in ice and snow.  Anyone who lives in snow country and has access to slag/clinker should carry a container of it in their vehicle.  And give it as a strange but very useful gift to friends and family.  It works much better than sand or cat litter because it is sharper and more "grabby" and is a good size (sand is often too fine).  Back in the day before road salt was a thing cities would spread crushed coal clinker on the icy streets for traction for horses, wagons, and pedestrians.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

PS  In my experience "slag" are the molten impurities which accumulate on the top of liquid metal when refining ore, e.g. iron, and are poured off and discarded.  "Clinker" is the unburned residue remaining after coal is burned.  They are close to interchangable but IMO not quite.  One implies a refining process while the other refers to a residue which is similar to ash when burning wood.  My 2 cents.

Welcome aboard Dave, glad to have you. Ditto George about your general location, you'll have a much better chance of meeting members living within visiting distance. 

Clinker makes excellent traction on ice, some of the best. Most kitty litter is bentonite clay and if you use much it actually becomes more slippery than ice when it gets wet. Clinker makes decent fill and a bit in the garden provides nutrients.

About the only place I can think of clinker would be useful in a foundry would be as a bed to pour over. Small scale, hobby, foundries set molds on a DRY sand or gravel bed to pour so any spills are trapped safely. Clinker could maybe used in the sand bed but a HOT melt spill could cause smoking.

Frosty The Lucky.

Some of the homemade foundry refractories use various types of grog - fired ceramics ground up or crushed silicates that melt down to glass. The old backyard metalcasting site had one that used perlite, a volcanic glass, for that purpose. The basic idea is that it adds porosity and also changes the plasticity so that the mix doesn't tend to crack through expansion or contraction as the water content changes.

I've used some of the recipes; they're cheap and somewhat effective, if not as high a refractive value by far, as the real thing. They also tend to eventually vitrify or crack and need repair or replacement. I wouldn't want to play with clinker for that purpose when there are established recipes. I'd keep it for traction or to sell as "dragon poop" instead.

Also, be careful ramming homemade refractories for foundries - they're prone to steam explosions if not dried fully and brought to heat slowly on the first firing, or if you leave a void when you ram it into the shell (it pools water in the void). It's exciting, but nothing you would want to volunteer for.