I Forge Iron

ID for Blacksmith Vise marked MANN & CAMPBEL SHEFFIELD WARRANTED

EdwardC

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance of meeting other members living within visiting distance.

Without pictures how much chance do you think someone here will know? If you want a guess I'd say it's a "MANN & CAMPBEL" made and warranted by Sheffield. 

In truth leg vises were so common I don't think anybody kept track of when one was made, I have 2 Champions, a 4" and a 6", neither have any info other than a C on the mounting plate. They share a common look typical of Champs but other brand leg vises share the same look.

Best of luck Edward, let us know what you find out, please.

Frosty The Lucky.

This is by no means definite, but "Mann & Campbell" may be a hardware or mail order company in where i would guess Sheffield England. Many hardware companies will contract out to tool manufacturers to make a brand tagged with their name. For example Sears or Craftsmen tools are not made by them. They just have the tools made for them. Today you may buy a Sears socket that is made by Gray and next year one made by Klein.  I use Sears becuase everyone has heard of them but there were many more from the early 1900's up until the 70's, maybe even a bit later. 

Again like Frosty said if you tell us where you are at it would help a lot. we do not need your exact address, unless you want a bunch of dirty blacksmiths comin over, drinking your beer, BBQing everything in sight, and leaving the toilet seat up, but just a general location. If for say you are in England would it not be much more beneficial for some one from England help you out rather than a couple blokes from over the pond? 

I don't know the brand, but my Google-fu is strong. There was a forge in the Sheffield area called Moss & Gamble Bros Limited, Special Steels and Tools, Franklin Works, Wadsley Bridge, Sheffield, which had the distinction of having the largest steam hammer in the area at one point, in Wadsley Bridge, a suburb of Sheffield. Here's a link to their industrial works, which has since been converted to apartments. [10479] Wadsley Bridge : Moss & Gamble's | Fox Hill Road, Wa… | Flickr Not sure the exact period, but I found other blacksmith tools with their stamp. There's also a post about one of their anvils here, 

Hey, did you sneak into my shop? That vice is the twin of the one that i just retired, even down to the decretive lines on the screw box. My great grandfather owned it, i do not know if he origianally purchased it or not but i am 95% positive that it came from Belknap hardware. Assuming that it was him that purchased it that would put its date at right around 1900. Mine has no markings on it though. 

It looks like that screw box has seen better days, which is also the main selling point to a post vise. And the spring looks upside down. 

image.thumb.jpeg.439539abfbfdb584470f3ec687d7d8c8.jpeg