I Forge Iron

First Demo

Well I did my first demo on Saturday at Strawbery Banke Museum in Portsmouth, NH. I was nervous as can be but soon got over that and spent seven hours forging for groups of between 2-30 people. I was so excited my wife had to make me take a lunch break at about 2:00. It was especially fun talking with the kids. They were pretty excited to see something new and to walk away with a trinket.

As it is a museum they did not want me to sell while workings as an 'interpreter' but I worked out a deal with them that in the spring they will sell my stuff in their gift shop. I Guess I will be busy building inventory this winter.

Congrats Doug. Demoing is fun, especially for the kids.

Pass out cards to the spectators so they can get in touch with you later to make purchases. If you stop in at living history museums, etc. around the country you'll find very few with a working smithy let alone a working smith. This means you have a pretty strong position when negotiating what will and will not be allowed. If you must point out to the powers that be that selling product is typically how a smith stayed in business. Even company smiths sold some stuff on the side. Well, some did anyway.

Frosty

Frosty,Thanks for the input. These guys were so excited to have a working smith on site that I may be in a better negotiating position than I thought. I will need to get some cards made up. Don't have any yet because I never thought of this as having business potential, especially since I am relatively new to it smithing.

• 4 weeks later...

Keep up the good work. Just be careful of the safety of the tourists, and it is also a good idea to learn about what other blacksmiths use a guidelines for when they demonstrate at museums. The Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland has a demonstrator guide that provides information to provide guidance for smiths demonstrating at local museums that you might find useful.

So give us some more info. Post a pic of what items you made or your general agenda.

How'd you get the museums attention?

What are some things that you took into consideration other than the 10 ft border.

What sort of equipment/setup did you have available?

**eagerly awaits**