I Forge Iron

Mini tongs

there is NO place in my town to buy blacksmithing stuff so im finding it very hard to get even the simplest supplies such as tongs. can i make some tongs out of rebar? i live in a guest house and my girlfriends dad is a contractor so ive found just about everything i need to get started right here in the yard.

anyone have some easy plans to make some "get by for now" type tongs lol

check the blueprints. my very first pair of tongs that i made were rebar and i loved them. they worked perfectly, but i would always quench them to cool them when i started to feel the heat thru the glove. they got brittle after a while and broke. they make good starter tongs, but dont expect them to last forever.

Whether they are useful or not they are a great demo of your abilities. To make miniature objects is often much harder than the full sized objects. Great job :)

agreed. there used to be competitions in days of yore (mid-late 1800s early 1900s) for smithing exact replicas of things like farming equipment (eg. bullock drawn plows etc). a great test and display of the smith's skill. some of the ones i've had the pleasure of seeing are both amazing and beautiful.

Quote "aye the rivet is really wimpy, so i wouldnt trust it to hold up under much twisting. it would if i were to re-rivet with something more substantial, but its just a decorative piece. " end quote

Tongs aren't meant for twisting, the number of times I have had to adjust tongs back in line when they have been (ab)used by inexperienced smiths is quite frustrating, however they have to learn.

The strength of tongs is when used in line with the axis of the handles, or as near to this as possble, if you want to twist with tongs, I would suggest the tongs be at 90 degrees (right angle) to the twist.

Edited by John B
Quote put in for reference

my very first pair of tongs that i made were rebar and i loved them. they worked perfectly, but i would always quench them to cool them when i started to feel the heat thru the glove. they got brittle after a while and broke.

Would it help to normalize them one in a while? Should one anneal them then re quench them to make them less brittle?

these are great, they remind me of rifleman's tongs. Is that 1/4 stock?

indeed it is, joseph. 1/4 inch round mild hot rolled.

i just figured out, they work GREAT for holding wire in place while i solder. keeps my hands away from the hot soldering gun, and gives me great control while working.