I Forge Iron

Gas Forge Burners, Do they Burn-Up/Corrode Away?

DC712001

Gas Forge Burners, Do they Burn-Up/Corrode Away? How far into the forge can the burner tube extend? How do you secure the tube to the forge furnace? If you are using a stacked-firebrick forge, how do you secure the burner tube into the forge-furnace?

Are there ceramic burner-tubes or can they be made?

Yes, they will burn up. A stainless steel tapered nozzle holds up better. The nozzle is shrouded by the ceramic lining material. The burner is held by a collar and setscrew. Soft brick is easily opened up and the hole to shroud the nozzle can fit quite closely.That means a longer life, but the nozzles inevitably erode. Ceramic nozzles work.mt

Yes, heat will eventually eat the burner tube, that's why I design mine to use plain black pipe with a thread protector on the end. Easy and cheap to replace. I also dip the ends in kaolin clay slip when they're warm enough to boil off the moisture. It affords a little more protection.

Usually you want the end of the burner tube well into the refractory liner or the heat in the forge will burn it up faster. This lets the incoming air fuel mixture to cool the tube some, preheating the air fuel mixture as well so it's a good thing. It also helps keep air off the outside of the tube because it'll be hot enough to scale right away in air.

Lots of ways to mount the burner. Some guys make a holder from larger diameter pipe and use three set screws to hold it in place. Some guys use a pipe flange. I weld a sheet metal disk to the thread protector and stand it on top of the forge, the copper gas line provides support so they don't fall over.

Frosty

I made a concentric ring burner tube for my blower-type forge six or eight years ago. a piece of 1/2 round, surrounded by 3/4 blk pipe, on top of 1-1/4 pipe, etc. up to 2 inch pipe, with small keystock spacers in between. I've put a pile of propane through it, a bit has worn off the end. When I built my new forge recently, I gave the old one to a smith in the area who had a venturi forge and I thought he needed a blower-type set-up. I expect he'll get another ten years out of it at a hobby/weekend rate of usage. I've been forging for ten years of so, welding and machining for 20 years, what's worked for me is to build something, anything, see if it works. If it fails, do something better next time... Smithing is fairly low-tech. The power is in your hands, and head.