I Forge Iron

Monkey Tool

A monkey tool is nothing more than a stick, sometimes just a long blade of grass.
A long time ago a monkey figured out that when he stuck a stick into a hole in a termite mound and pulled it out it was covered with termites and he could lick 'em off and go back for more.
Now, not ALL monkeys is that smart, some of 'em just watch and watch and get frustrated and get to throwin' stuff around and never get with the learnin' curve by gettin' their own stick...

I use hexagonal sucker rod and drill the hole all the way through the middle. I find that it's better to have something a bit harder than mild steel so unhardened tool steel works well enough. I normally make tenons under the power hammer using swages so typically drill the hole in the monkey tool 1/32 larger than the desired finished size.

• 8 months later...
Idont mean to sound really spupid, but what is a monkey tool, what does it look like and what do you use it for?

If you look at the previous pages in this post you will see information and drawings about monkey tools, courtesy of Mark Asprey I believe

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone. Been lurking for awhile but this is my first post. I was surfing around on harbor freight the other day and found these. - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices I'm wondering if in a pinch they would work as monkey tools. I know everyone says their tools are crap but I guess Ive just always been lucky with the ones I've gotten.

Not all HF tools are junk. Or perhaps I should say that not all HF tools are made from cheap steel. I bought a set of cold chisels and punches there once to use at a job where pilferage was common. Figured I could better afford to lose them than one of my best hand-forged chisels. Of course, the first time I tried to cut a bolt head with the cold chisel I ended up with a "half moon chisel". I went to the grinder to try and salvage it and noted that the sparks indicated high-carbon steel. It was just poorly tempered. I assume that they were oven tempered to minimize chipping and law suits. I hardened them then drew them to a light straw color. It's been 9 years and I haven't had to re-sharpen them since. ;)