I Forge Iron

Most dangerous powerhammer award

YouTube - JYH-power hammer first test.

posted in chat, makes yours look like nothing.

FAIL

That hammer in that video only needed to be bolted down (and given a nice coat of paint) as in this video:

YouTube - 100# power hammer

So it eventually was very safe (and VERY well made), the blacker however is ALWAYS dangerous.

FAIL

That hammer in that video only needed to be bolted down (and given a nice coat of paint) as in this video:

YouTube - 100# power hammer

So it eventually was very safe (and VERY well made), the blacker however is ALWAYS dangerous.

My question is (sorry if it's one of those "duh" questions) is can you make one of those with easy interchangeable dies?
The first video was scary - but it cleaned up REAL GOOD. I really like the simplicity of that hammer. A friend of mine uses a home-built air-hammer but you need a huge compressor to run it.

Sam
... my brain is tingling - my wife's not going to like this ... I'm blaming you all :D

Sam, first of all.....when you are thinking you KNOW you are alive, the tingling is a good sign:D.

Secondly, look close at the dies in the video, you will see for bolts at each corner of the plate the dies are mounted to, they are interchangeable:D, easily too. I built my treadle hammer with a similar setup.

Edited by ApprenticeMan

Secondly, look close at the dies in the video, you will see for bolts at each corner of the plate the dies are mounted to, they are interchangeable:D, easily too. I built my treadle hammer with a similar setup.

I noticed the bolts - I was thinking more dovetailed dies for easier switching out, like on some of the higher-end poer-hammers.

sam

And what do you think is particularly dangerous about the Blacker?

Noooooooothing :rolleyes::D . I know you own one ID, I was just being a bit tongue in cheek :( .

They do look a bit dangerous with the hammer swinging towards you like that, but I guess no more than a LG with the mechanism right in front of your face, just a bit more tricky to get a guard around the dangerous parts.

There are two types of Blacker: Type B has the traversing head and a 'proper' anvil; Type C has a smaller anvil block which is dovetailed into a cast pillar. Some of these have a square hole to take standard bottom tools. The main selling point of these things was that there was (theoretically) no need to buy new tools and poor people could afford to buy them.
If you think the belt drive on the right is dangerous you should see what goes on on the other side!

They do look a bit dangerous with the hammer swinging towards you like that, but I guess no more than a LG with the mechanism right in front of your face, just a bit more tricky to get a guard around the dangerous parts.

see Id still vote for the Little Giant,
especially since Ive spent so much time dancing to avoid the flying parts when they break loose :P :p :P

now I havent personally seen one put a hole through the guard,
but there where several nice holes in the guard from before I started,
when we got the 100lb LG the guards went from serious wire mesh to thick steel plate