I Forge Iron

What do I need?

Matt in NY
First off, Welcome to I Forge Iron.
As I give you my responce, I do it with the best approach to your question that I can think of. So here it goes:
I suggest that you go to the Home Page here at I Forge Iron.
On the right side it says

Edited by Ted T

really simple list:

Something to hit
Something to get it hot with
Something to hit it with
Something to hit it on

The rest is just details ;)
Welcome to IFI! All kidding aside the getting started pages are the very best resources you will find on the web! Grab a lunch and a large "jug o drink" and a comfy spot, you will likely find your day passing before you know it!

I think what you need depends upon what you want to do. I mainly make historical domestic fireplace cooking things & gardening / farming tools so, for me, the essentials are: Hammers, Forge, Anvil, Chisels, Punches, Vice, Hardy, Tongs, Swage Block, Mandrel, Anvil Tools, Scrolling Tools; in that order.

If you aren't a pro' and want to increase your number of tools and learn new skills at the same time... make them! I have posted a link to the e-book 'Basic Blacksmithing' under the book review section of this website, it is a VERY useful text. I made my first tongs last week, following the instructions in the book, superb!

#1 Hammer. Without that you can form nothing. You can form steel cold and you could use a rock as an anvil but must have a hammer.
#2 An anvil. Yes I love my 2 quality 280# anvils but a big piece of steel will do as a substitute. Lots of things will do some of which you can get free or virtually free.
#3 A forge. Again this can be made out of almost nothing.
#4 Tongs. These can be made very simply and will work. A piece of strip bent double like big sugar tongs will work- upto a point. We are now at the stage of tools you should be trying to make for yourself!
#5 Hardy. Very useful and pretty well essential.
#6 LEG VICE. Not a machinists vice. This is not an essential but I wouldn't like to have to work without one.

For forging those are your essentials. The vice you have to buy but everything else can be cobbled together out of nothing.

BTW I know that tradition has it that you can make your own vice. Somebody who is such a beginner cannot hope to forge a vice. If you don't agree with this please supply me with a list of the beginners you know who made a leg vice as a first project!

OK, I have a hammer, anvil, tongs, forge and leg vice. I just wanted to find out what items various folks thought they couldn't do without. This would help me to understand where they are coming from.
Maybe a rating system of 1 to 10 with10 being indespensible. Or maybe items I can't do without, items I use once in a while and items I have but don't know why.

I have read the where to start section and I am trying to obtain other books as well as reading this forum.

It is very busy for the next month or so; I just want to get my brain wrapped around some of the notions I come across.

To be a blacksmith you MUST HAVE the following:

A positive blood pressure.

A positive IQ (Intelligence Quotient).

A positive attitude.

The rest you can deal with.

As has been said before an anvil is just a heavy object to hit upon, a hammer an object to hit with, and a fire to get things hot. Blacksmiths are inventors, scientists, free thinkers, problem solvers, and a whole bunch of other things. They use anything that works to get the job done. For them there is no *box*, just challenges, and oh yes a few obstacles to overcome.

Give a blacksmith all the tools in the world and he can only make what his brain can imagine. Give the blacksmith imagination and he will figure out a way to make most anything.

Matt in NY,
I have to tell you that I feel so thankful for all of the tools that I have gathered in about 50 years. I had a bunch of them stolen about two weeks ago. And now my place looks bare to me.
But, I have always kept in mind how little you actually need to work with. And that was due to seeing this youtub video.
Just for fun give it a look. YouTube - Blacksmith in Mali, West Africa
I feel very rich after seeing that video.
Have fun and be safe!
Ted

I'm sure I've heard a myth about a group of blacksmiths where if one just has two rocks, some iron and a fire, they will use one rock as the hammer and the other as the anvil to make a better hammer. Then using that better hammer they will make an even better hammer, until they have a very good hammer.

If you have a hammer, an anvil (doesn't have to be London pattern), a fire and a bar of iron you can make a chisel. (Use the edge of the anvil or the hammer as something between a fuller and a hardy.) Then you can make a punch using the chisel to cut the bar neatly. Then a pair of tongs. From then on you can make just about anything, given enough time, skill, fuel and iron.

BTW I know that tradition has it that you can make your own vice. Somebody who is such a beginner cannot hope to forge a vice. If you don't agree with this please supply me with a list of the beginners you know who made a leg vice as a first project!

Perhaps not a traditional leg vise using traditional methods, but if that beginner smith has a welder, some other fabrication gear and the knowledge to use them, a suitable alternative that is as good or better is quite possible. Example: http://www.abana.org/downloads/education/VerticalVise.pdf

I'm not being glib when I say that the thing I need most for my blacksmithing operation is TIME.

I need time to be out in the shop working -- without that, I'll never develop the skills that I want.

What I've learned from other smiths is that you can do a lot with very little.

It's like Lance Armstrong said "it ain't about the bike" --