I Forge Iron

Can anyone help me identify this anvil. TIA

Welcome from the Ozark Mountains.

If you can take pictures of the opposite side of the picture shown and a little closer also the bottom of the base, lots of time the look of the bottom will offer clues. Are there any numbers stamped in to the foot under the horn? Over all it looks like a very good anvil no matter the maker. Another thing that might help is to know your general location as anvils are made all over the world.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Generally, there are identification marks on the sides of the McAnvil. We could make up a very convincing story, but it would mean nothing other than make a story. Look on the sides, gently clean with a bit of sandpaper. The markings will be more visible. Sometimes a light shake of talcum powder and a wipe will also bring out the highlights. Quite often there also is some numbering on the outer edges of the feet.

Neil

Thanks for the help.  I'm in Southern Illinois.  It weighs 130lbs 27" long, 3 1/2" wide 11" high with 7/8" hardy hole.  I will do some more work cleaning on it but maybe the numbers under the horn on the foot are 196128 on the right side and 128 on the left side under the horn.  Not real caught up on the brand just wanted a usable anvil to start.  Was more curious for the history part of it.  Previous owner didn't have any info.  Adam

Welcome aboard Adam, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a much better chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance. Telling us in a post won't stick in our memories when we open another one.

Some wire brushing will help bring out texture like names, date, etc. Please no grinding or sanding, that will remove the things you want to expose. When you take pics placing the light source at a shallow angle across the surface you're photographing will really bring out detail.

With the long thin tail it will be excellent for fine work but narrow waist makes it less so for heavy hammering. it should take heavy hammering but your target zone is smaller. Looks to be in pretty good condition from here. 

I'm afraid I don't have an idea of the maker though.

Frosty The Lucky.