I Forge Iron

Introduction

Castle7

Hello all, my name is Michael. I have never done blacksmithing before other than straitening out bent axles. Blacksmithing has always intriqued me but have never been able to do anything about it. Good thing is that I may be able to start this year. So I've decided to start researching and hopefully begin collecting tools. Money is limited for me right now. The tools I have now are a bench grinder with 80 and 60 grit wheels, a 3-5lb mallot, a 6in section of railroad track, some pliers and hammers and common tools like that. I have a grill but my father will be using it for food in the summer. I do have access to 55gal drums at the local auto shop. He said they would give them to me for free. But I'll have to transport it. That shouldn't be a problem. I also have three old lawn mower blades. What do I need to look into to start small smithing projects? Feel free to ask me any questions.

Stuff about me. I'm in High school, I like medieval siege weapons and history in general. I like chess and mountian biking. I live in Michigan. I have built a couple catapults. And right now I'm having computer trouble so I will post more later.

Castle7,

Welcome, You are starting out just like alot of us :) . Blacksmithing does not take alot of money to do nice work. For what it's worth don't start out by making a sword. Read alot,ask alot of questions and listen to the answers.
Smithing is fun and fulfilling but it is also very dangerous. Use your head and if your not sure about what you are trying to do stop and ask someone. Unasked questions can hurt real bad. Not trying to scare you just use your head.
Hot metal, Fire and sharp heavy objects all demand/deserve respect. :!:

Once again Welcome and Good Luck!

JWB

castle7,
welcome! I agree with jwb about safety. read the thread entitled "have to lay off the forge for a few days". there's good info on safety therein. the stuff you have right now as far as I can see (I'm no expert, mind, repeat: not and expert atoll) you could build yourself a simple coal/charcoal 55 forge (see blueprints) and then use the railroad track as a simple pounding surface (clamp it down to soemthing heavy and stable!) you'd be all set for a basic blacksmithing setup. don't start with a sword. starting off with blacksmithing in general gives you more freedom and doesn't limit you to just sharp pointy things (when people hear that you specifically use fire and anvil to make sharp pointy things, whether to chop vegetables, or poke holes in paper or the simplest must non-violent functional things they may still run away, say you blacksmith especially when your teachers ask you what stuff you do in your spare time) :D
be safe, have fun, merry metal pounding!
Archie Zietman

Thanks for the welcome. Trust me, I don't mind asking lot's of questions :lol:

I don't particularly want to make a sword so that's not much of a problem. I would like to make a knife but am more than willing to start other projects to learn first.
What tools do I need to start a basic project? Something perferably that I can use with the lawn mower blades. I know I need to make a forge and will as soon as I can. But in the mean time what should I look out for? Any kind of info would be appreciated. I'll be reading the post made here already and reading the info on the website as well.

Well, like I said I like medieval stuff and have made a couple things.

This is a pic of a trebuchet I made. It would launch rocks past the fence. I have made a new one since then.
scan0004.jpg

Here is a pic of a ballista I made 'bout a year ago. Never worked well, but I didn't give it much of a chance.
scan0003.jpg

And a knife I made out of an old hacksaw blade. I was really bored when I made this.
Picture289.jpg

Those are my more large a substantial things I have made. Recently I have made another trebuchet and a whipper (a modern style treb).

Hello, Michael,
Glad you made it to the forum. The first tools you'll need are a anvil, hammer, and a pair of tongs.(pliers would work in a pinch to start with) The next thing you'll need is a forge of some kind. I'd start looking at the Blueprint Section found here,

http://www.iforgeiron.com/BPindex/BPindex.shtml

Mainly looking at forges and tools to get started. As for scrap material I'd look in alleys, junk yards, for anything that that looks useful. Look at these BPs for ideas.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/Blueprints/BP0002Junk_Yard_Steel/BP0002junkyardsteel.shtml

http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55

Keep asking questions as you go, and we'll try to answer them. Also post what town your from and see if somebody can tell you of a local Blacksmithing Club you might be able to get involved in, and get some direct, hands on help. Also don't forget the Tuesday night live Chat and Demos here on the IFI site.

http://iforgeiron.com/bp_location.shtml

Welcome to the forum.

Look at the Blueprints > Forges > solid fuel > 55 Forge (BP0133) for a quick inexpensive forge that will work. Last several times I built a fire, it was in a 55 Forge. The reason was that the 55 Forge would do things my normal forge would not do. The Gasser (BP0192 and BP0191) use propane if coal is not available in your area.

Look for any heavy hunk of metal 100 pounds or more as a make do anvil, and a pair of vise grips till you can find or make tongs. After that you can build a fire and have fun while you look for the rest of the tools.