I Forge Iron

I need a teacher!

wulfgar

Yes I'm here to bug you all again :D Wondering if anyone knows or has any good recommendations on where to go for a course in bladesmithing? I'm in Alberta Canada and I can't find anyone in the area that can help me. At this point I don't really care to how far I may have to travel, just as long as the trip would be worth it.
Again thank you in advance.
Wulfgar.

I don't know your background or ability so first become familiar with blacksmithing, forge welding, heat treating etc. Bladesmithing is a specialized field and then is specialized even more in type and styles of blades. Then find the very best knife maker you can locate and work out a deal to learn from them.

Before becoming a sword maker, I would highly recommended that you first become a "knifemaker". I've made a number of swords, and can tell from experience that as a blade gets longer, it becomes exponentially more difficult in just about every aspect. The time and effort spent learning and applying the basics of smaller blade design and construction will help prepare you for the "bigger" stuff.

If there isn't anyone there near you pick up a book. Books are good things,not as good as a real live person but you can learn a lot form one. If you have no practical experience banging on steel the best way to learn is to just start with some of the simple exercises to learn hammer control and not tear up your arm and hand. I have never professed to be an expert but I started by reading a book and worked out from there. I later found kindred souls to teach me more techniques but an anvil, a forge and a book are a good place to start on your quest to become a bladesmith.

Sam:

Ya forgot www.becomeabladesmith.com......for under 300 Yankee US dollars he can become a LICENSED MASTER BLADESMITH!! Gee....only took me 40 years on my own and I ain't got no paper to "proove it"..sigh......

Ok seriously now.. STAY AWAY FROM THAT PLACE....

The other suggestions are fine...good, sound ideas.... Just stay away from these shysters,,,

JPH

Gee....only took me 40 years on my own and I ain't got no paper to "proove it"..sigh......
JPH

And from the sounds of it if you got the paper from them you would throw away the entire 40 years worth of experience in the one showing of the paper to anyone who knows anything about bladesmithing!

Let's face it, if a person shows a paper from these people to any one on these boards, bladesmith or not, they would simply be laughed at. Especially if they are without blades to show, and if they have blades the origin of the blades they show would be seriously questioned.

Check out the school you decide to attend and make sure they are teaching the craft, not just giving you a piece of paper.

(JPH don need no stinkin paper ;)

Hey..

Ya know what... I got me an idea...

www.becomeabrainsurgeon.com It'll only cost ya $19.95 but wait!! Call now in the next 10 minutes and I will include my course www.becomeacosmeticsurgeon.com for only additional shipping and handling.

Billy Mays will be selling these courses on late night TV in the very near future...We will even throw in some ShamWOW's to help staunch the bleeding..

Seriously folks..these scammers need to be stopped...

JPH

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...