I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing has come to a DEAD STOP

John Martin

Okay, well this sucks. Ever since switching to coal, there has been a little bit of smoke that escapes. And ever since that started, it's really bad today, I want to rip my throat out. It's raw, hoarse, and hurts obviously. Lol. So I was wondering what I could do to fix that problem. The smoke problem. Any ideas? Because until I can figure that out I can't blacksmith.

The chimney of the Supercharged 55 Forge is 6 feet tall (now 7-1/2 feet) and 24 inches in diameter. It drafts very will at present, and I suspect another 3 feet of chimney would increase the draft, maybe to the point of being too much.

The draft is still a bit lazy compared to the side draft forge hood with a 10 inch opening and a 14 inch chimney that was 8 feet tall. Both forges are in the same location so that is not a factor. The big difference is that the Supercharged 55 Forge set up produces much less smoke. The natural draft (no fan) from the 55 forge will keep the fire lit for several hours so please do not misunderstand my comments.

Try adding more stack. Preheating the chimney does wonders, as does running a hot fire. If that does not work, then try a forced air draft.

Putting a chinaman's cap or high volicity hood to the top of the stack will cut the draft but reduce downdrafting. Heavy weather is a pain as the smoke sometimes just clears the top of the stack and then falls back onto the ground, hugging the ground like fog. No much you can do other than build a HOT fire and don't inhale.

You can put a very small propane burner in the second stage of the chimney. Yep,an afterburner. Its vertical position needs to be where the smoke still is hot enough to re-ignite with the little bit of help. The burner can be very small. This suggestion is "your health" related. It does take away from "old timey", though. Just Ole' Lefty

If the smoke clears abit after it has been going for a while you may try building a fire on top of the coal with wood and paper so it will warm up the pipe and start a draft, then get the coal going. How tall a pipe you need is based on may things including what is in the area surrounding the forge if you are in the lee of taller trees or building it will reduce the draft. and etc.