I Forge Iron

Devil Forge - Unable to get the single flame

Doozerdoll

I believe that they have changed their burners over the last few years. When we give people advice on this group, it is only about how to get the best performance from their equipment, versus what they are able to do. Manufacturers must balance other factors, like sales appeal, and production costs. If you need better performance than you are getting, spend time looking over burner design...

Or, if you're looking for a practical solution, replace that burner with a Mr. Volcano burner; they only cost $25. You couldn't even buy the materials they are made from for that price :)

7 hours ago, Doozerdoll said:

Hi, we have purchased a devil forge gas furnace, all set up and gas lights no problem. However when we open the choke the flames carry on, we cant get it to go to the single high powered flame the video. We have checked all connections, pipes and watched the set up video man times.

Have a picture of anything?

I have a devil forge. Setup was easy and get plenty of heat.

Any help would be amazing. Even had my cousin round who is a gas engineer today and still no joy. He also believes it’s the mix. It seems clear the mix is a wrong but what ever we put the gas at or air in we cannot achieve what the instructions/set up videos state. We have tried dozens of times. Th closest we have gotten is taking it out of the furnace. I have attached that video and us trying with gas very low

I have same burner (or looks like it). As soon as i open choke it starts to roar and the flame changes.

There is no blocking in the small hole of the deliverypipe in the nozzle?

The reducer ia working properly?

Pressuregauge is in MPa? Asking because I'm not sure and so everybody knows what it is.

You have emailed the devil forge?

Where are you?

Flogas cylinder suggests the UK. 

The choke isn't very wide open in the videos. First thing I'd try is winding the choke right back until it drops off the stud. If it's still burning ridiculously rich, there's definitely a problem with the burner. If it leans off enough to be useful (or, ideally, too hot), it's probably an operator/settings problem and that's much easier to sort.

Hi, 

Yes we are in the UK. We have removed the choke completely (unwound until it fell off) and had no effect.

We will remove the burner and take another look and see if we can see the hole in the delivery pipe.

So so frustrating as have seen it work first time on all the videos.

We have emailed Devil Forge also. 
Appreciate all the advice.

Just checked the hole on the delivery pipe and it seems clear and passing some water through seemed fine.

Welcome aboard Doozerdoll, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a much better chance of meeting up with members living within visiting distance. 

How about some still pics, movies are major bandwidth hogs without providing much additional information. Worse too many people shot video while moving around so we can't see much of anything worthwhile. Not wasting bandwidth is important, a fair % of IFI members don't have wideband available and are paying for data on dial up connections. 

I haven't viewed your videos so my comments about quality may not apply. However downloading between 62-90 Mb for maybe useful doesn't work for me.

A still pic in the front of the forge so I can see the flame in a cold forge and another from the same angle in a Hot forge. One across the front of the forge so I can see what the exhaust exiting the forge looks like will give me about all I need to evaluate your forge flame.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sorry, new and making mistakes. We cleaned everything through thoroughly. And used a hair dryer into the choke hole to create more air, we get the flame we are supposed to get. However totally unable to achieve without hair dryer.

Still pic rather than video attached. Sorry about videos. I will take the photos you have asked for.

IMG_2759.png

No need to apologize, sending video straight off a phone is common but IFI is a world wide forum and lots of folk . . .Sorry I won't repeat myself. for a change.:rolleyes:

Poking a blower in the air intake is NOT a workable solution, you'd be farther ahead building a Gun (blown) burner. 

Oh MY, I'd forgotten how poorly designed those are! The gas supply pipe crossing the mixing tube is almost undoubtedly mis-aligned or the jet hole is obstructed. Take it out of the forge and look down the mixing tube and check that the jet hole is centered in the tube. Hopefully you'll be able to see if it's rotated out of line. 

The jet being aligned straight down the center of the burner is really critical, no amount of adjusting other factors will correct the problem. 

The burner flame is still pretty rich from the angle of the pic. Next time take it from the side, not pointing towards or away from the camera. 

Hopefully Mikey will speak up, he's better at reading burner flames than I am, we have slightly different criteria

Don't worry, we'll get you tuned up and burning HOT.

Frosty The Lucky.

Have you checked the entire mixing tube for any obstruction like packing material. It looks to me with the hair blower it will pass sufficient air but without the blower it's not getting enough air. Oh and BTW your video's will not play for me, I get a network error msg.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

The gas supply pipe crossing the mixing tube is almost undoubtedly mis-aligned or the jet hole is obstructed.

Why does a little alarm bell ring in my head, while reading this? Because it fits the facts. So, how do they check for this, and what can they do to fix it?

By hooking up the burner intake to a water hose, and then turning on the faucet, a jet of water should spurt out of the burner's end; it is supposed to be dead center I expect that it will be canted well off center, showing that the gas orifice is badly misaligned. If this is what is shown, than only being able to align the gas orifice in the cross pipe will sold the burner's problems.

Hopefully it's misaligned because the cross pipe turned when they tightened the lock nut so it's as easy as loosening it and twisting till the water stream is centered and tightening it back up. If however the stream is off in line with the supply pipe it'll take a something different. I'd have to be able to put my hands on it to tell what. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Ah, a manufacturer's error and they're replacing it. Excellent! We'll be watching to see how it works for you.

Morning Mike. I got on the forum by back-dooring through this thread all I'm getting in "Unread Content" are quick books ads. I'll have to sic adblock on it and see. 

Too warm, rain and snow here again. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.