I Forge Iron

Replacing a base

I'm new here have been a farrier for 30 years. Retired too young but still enjoy working hot metal. While I have spent a ton of time working iron I am still amazed at the abilities of a smith. 

Anyway all that aside for now, when I changed states I sold a couple of anvils and kept two. One a future 3 anvil that is portable for farrier work. The other is the face and horn of an anvil that was given to me by my father in law.  

The latter I would like to make int a shop anvil and wondering if anyone here might have an idea of how to replace the base. I have thrown around the idea of milling the bottom flat then drill and tapping for studs, then either a stacked steel plate base or possibly seeing if I could just purchase an aluminum base from one of the future anvils. 

Any other ideas?

16993801297881754487207624974480.jpg

Welcome from the Ozark Mountains.

A lot of what should be done depends on where in the world you are located. Are there any markings on the opposite side, from the picture? What condition is the hardened steel face of your anvil half?

In my area I would look for an old Trenton, Arm & Hammer, with the base that is welded to the top and that the face is destroyed. Usually those can be had for a reasonable price. I would cut the base off that one and weld it to the top that appears to be in good condition.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Just winging it here, no idea if it would work but what about building a sandbox base and placing it on top?  I would think once the sand is packed down enough it could be relatively stable. Could probably weld a shaft of sorts right in the center to get more weight and depth. 

Could do some scouting around transmission or gear shops for a large scrap gear, A flywheel starter gear comes to mind. Cut it in half and weld it to your anvil. I may not look like it used to but it'd be pretty cool. Heck if you quartered the gear you could give it 4 legs. 

You could start a new trend. :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky. 

Another approach would be to forget about the anvil base and just mount the existing top half on a stump or stand.  As long as you can mount it to be stable I think that it is perfectly possible to use it as is,  About the only drawback that I can think of is that you would be restricted in how long a piece could be bent over the edge of the anvil.  If the heel over hangs the stump/stand do all your bending there.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

One of the smiths in our group built his anvil years ago. He machined the body from block of 4140 pre hard and the base from mild with about 1/4” chamfers at the joint. He bolted them together from the bottom with 4 3/4” socket head cap screws and welded it up. You would never guess that it was made from two pieces and it is great anvil to work on! (I wouldn’t want to move it, the anvil is around 500lbs and the stand is made very stout.)

Keep it fun,

David