I Forge Iron

Vacuum Cleaner

Dear members!

I would like to buy a vacuum cleaner for my workshop. 
I would be happy to know what kind of vacuum cleaners you use. What filter and dust class is suitable for a blacksmith workshop? Apart from the 'regular dust', I would of course like to use it to clean metal dust from grinding and ash from the forge.

Thank you in advance for your answers!

I would think any suitably sized shop vac should work and get some old school style vacuum bags too, as that will add an extra layer of filtration. That's what we do at work for vacuuming fine fiberglass dust from our CNC router that we use to cut out electrical enclosures for the buttons that get installed. Don't want to be breathing that garbage! Bad enough when you get some on your fingers. Bonus is that you don't have to clean the vacuum filter as often when you use the bags too.

Shop vacs will work better. Household vacuums could work but they aren't so much made for the heavy debris in a shop.  As stated empty often and a filter sock if available is a good idea. As for brands or makers I would search reviews and see what is recommended most. I have a large craftsman shop vac and a smaller milwaukee battery vac that i use foe many applications. I have also used household vacuums that were headed to the trash, they just dont handle the larger debris as well but have served a bit of purpose before I scrapped them out for lack of real need. My shop mostly gets a broom and dustpan treatment. 

Vacuums found in the trash generally just need a good cleaning up. People can really lack on maintainence then pitch them out for lack of performance. 

On 10/26/2023 at 2:07 PM, Irondragon Forge ClayWorks said:

I think it's a 5 gallon B&D.

Funny how the mind works (or not). Mine is a SHOP-VAC 10 gallon wet/dry. It has the standard 1 inch hose and an optional 2 inch hose with a long attachment to clean the house gutters from the ground, no ladder work for that aggravating chore. There is not much it will not pick up.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus