I Forge Iron

How to mount a post vice with no welding

Casey27

Hi everyone, I just acquired my first post vice and brought it home and realized I have a problem, I have no idea how to properly mount the thing! 

The requirements I have for my stand are: 

• It needs to be at least semi portable as I don't have a permanent location for my blacksmithing set up as of now. 
  • It needs to be able to be made without any welding as I don't have access to a welder. 

I do have some general carpentry tools and an adequate level of proficiency with them. If you have any ideas or suggestions on how to mount this vice please let me know, thank you! 

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

Given your parameters I would start with about a 2'x2' piece of 3/4" plywood or OSB.  Then I would mount a post of about 6"x6" (solid or built up of smaller pieces such as 2x6s) attached to the base by lag bolts.  Then I would mount the post vise to the post and base.  If there was not enough mass I would add temporary weights such as sand bags or buckets of water to the base.  You could even mount wheels or casters to the edge of gthe base so that it would roll when tipped.

Good luck and please post photos of how you solve your problem.  We LOVE pictures.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Thanks for the advice George (pun not intended)

I'm pretty excited to be getting some better equipment now honestly. Hopefully I can get a stand put together reasonably soon and put it to work. 

Also this is the vice I got for anyone interested. 5 inch jaws, not sure about branding or weight. 

IMG_7256.jpeg

Billy, you're correct. First one I've bought, I honestly didn't even realize until I got home with it unfortunately. But it seems to work well so far. 

Also what if any purpose does the acorn on the bottom serve?

Good Morning,

The Acorn is the shoulder that supports the foot and transfers the effort of the hammer blows to 'Terra Firma'. The post is not hardened and it can be welded to 'as needed'. When you set up the Vice, it will want support at the base that the 'Post' can sit into. Preferably something firm to the ground. If you make a portable base, there should be a 'pocket' for the 'Post' to sit into.

Welcome from the 'Left Coast'. The collection of implements of construction, is in progress. Enjoy the Journey!!

Neil