I Forge Iron

Forming Ridges

So I should make a spiny ammonite sprinkler so it can walk around on it's spines? I'm not good with automata but I suppose I could hide wheels or tires in a hollow at the bottom of the shell. 

Oh wait, are you talking about the shaggy dog sprinkler? Making it walk might be easier than a large spiny ammonite walking on it's spines. Maybe have the ammonite chasing the shaggy dog. 

Valves and linkage makes me visualize a V8 engine sprinkler with working valves and linkage spraying water. I wonder if I could get it to come out of the valves in smooth sheets instead of a spray. Hmmmmm.

Maybe figuring out how to play Traveller would be easier.

Frosty The Lucky.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the shaggy dog chasing the ammonite. I know if there were one in our yard it wouldn't stand a chance against Oakley, he eats tree bark, sticks and soft rocks.:o

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Isn't Oakly a smooth coat? My memory could be wrong of course but the smooth coat variation is best for jowly breeds and they shake their head to spread the water. Probably best for watering one or two garden rows at a time.

Make more . . . Sense?:huh:  Ammonite vs dog in a chase? Sell them as sets and let the customer decide maybe? I'll bet a lot would depend on the landscaping, dessert, vs. marine?

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh yeah, you posted pics. I may not remember a face, name or directions but I never forget a dog, the dog's person yes but not the dog. He looks to be in lovable lump mode.

He needs an Ammonite bed! Yeah, that's the ticket and if you have cats the dog's bed should have suitable cat toy tentacles, maybe even battery or dog weight powered. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 8/23/2023 at 5:10 PM, Frosty said:

V8 engine sprinkler with working valves and linkage spraying water.

Sigh....   I was thinking of water valves and hydraulically driven linkage. 

You might need tank treads to move a V8 around and about.  May chew up the turf a bit.

17 hours ago, Irondragon Forge ClayWorks said:

chasing squirrel's

Between Axle and Oakley an ammonite wouldn't stand a chance.

I tried making 8 tentacles out of 1/2 rebar yesterday by sawing them horizontally with the hacksaw.  Too small.    Didn't go well....:(

c1_20230824_12540924.thumb.jpeg.a83af7d7157bfe4d5be27818a9157468.jpeg

Then I tried 4 and got good results until I over worked the first one and it broke off. :angry:. It was too hot out to be working.  I think the idea about forge welding them is best.  Or maybe cheat and stick weld them....:ph34r:

Although the fossil evidence is unclear (very rare soft part preservation) it is thought that ammonites probably had 10 tentacles.  Modern Nautaloids have up to 90.  I might have tried hot splitting the rebar to eliminate metal loss to the saw kerfs and I think I might have tried doing the splits radially rather than on a 90 degree grid.  I'm not sure if one method would work better than another.  I do think that I would try to get the head done first, by whatever method, before drawing out the body since the head has the highest probability of messing up.

In the end, it may take welding.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I would forge the tentacles one at a time, then forge weld them together. Then make the body and forge weld it to the tentacles. Heres an example. Its obviously not your project, but it is a tendril/tentacle coming out of a body by forge weld. The technique is this type of forgeweld . The elements are whatever you want. The type of detail and the organic look are whats important. Another thought is when making something out of iron, start with a larger size than you might think you need. You have far more leeway for creativity if you start large and forge down to size. 

Lol, if you stick weld or use a torch, you lose these cool transitions...

Tendril.jpg

Tendril_1.jpg

Tendril_3.jpg

Tendril_2.jpg

Tendril_4.jpg

Tendril_5.jpg

Tendril_7.jpg

Tendril_8.jpg

Tendril_6.jpg

George, hot splitting would be best, and radially better.  Head first is right....:)  Thanks.

Anvil, I was just fooling around, trying to make a small prototype just to see how a larger one would look.  I knew it was too small, but tried anyway.....:).  I have to work on forge welding skills, I agree about the cool transitions.  It's just that old quickie stick weld habits die hard...;)  Thanks for the pics.

We'll see what develops.