I Forge Iron

Kastoloite 30, sourcing or alternatives

Hi. So, in another thread I was recommended to cast 3/4" to an inch of castable refractory over rigidized insulation in my forge. A member there recommended Kastolite 30.

I tried purchasing online and the company that sells the 55lb bag, for some reason, doesn't want to ship to Houston Texas. 

Are there similar products like Kastolite 30 I can try buying, or do you suggest a supplier that sells online and would ship to TX?

Ron

I'll PM the link. If they can't take care of you they will know who can.

Frosty The Lucky.

We can talk about building the forge, 3/4" of refractory is excessive unless you'll be putting thing in your forge weighing a couple hundred lbs. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I like 3/4" of refractory because of the ease of casting that thickness, not necessarily for it's structural properties.  Since Kastolite 30 is also a fairly good insulator, you don't lose as much insulation value in your forge lining as you might if it were, say, Mizzou.  Also, depending on what you are forging, a little thermal mass can be helpful.

I had a chat with Atlas Knife and Tools. They say that Kastolite products are for monolithic casts. Meaning, using the castable on its own inside a form and not on top of wool. They recommended using plistix 900 alone on top of the wool. What's your view on that?

Ron

My view and what, 30+ years making double lined forges is two 1" layers of 8lb. ceramic wool blanket on the outside, the inner liner rigidized though doing both doesn't hurt. Net in is a 3,000f high alumina water setting hard refractory inner liner. How thick you like is a matter of what works for you. I like 1/2" all round but that's me. I like Kastolite 30, a high alumina, 3,000f water setting, bubble refractory, the "bubbles" are evacuated silica spherules. It still weirds the wordsmith in me to say, "vacuum filled(?)" hollow glass spheres, they replace part of the sand in the aggregate, lighten the refractory and increase it's insulating properties. I've been using the stuff since I was introduced to it and will until a better product for the price comes along. And the last is Plistex 900 kiln wash for the flame face. It makes the final bit of armor protecting the ceramic blanket. It's a poor conductor meaning the energy the flame imparts on it doesn't conduct through very well to pass it to the next layer. It absorbs energy f rom the flame and can't shed it so it becomes very hot and radiates the energy back into the forge chamber as IR radiation to heat your work. 

This makes an economical, effective, efficient and durable propane forge liner and has become popular for good reason.

Frosty The Lucky.