I Forge Iron

Roman window grill

George N. M.

Here ia a link to an article about an iron Roman window grill that has been found ib Spain.

https://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/68019

It appears to me that the horizobtal and vertical pieces were riveted together but the photos are a bit obscure since the grill hasn't been cleaned yrt.

I post this here rather thab Historical Blades since this isn't a blade.  Maybe we need a Historic Ironwork topic.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

What is interesting to me, besides the grill itself, is that its presevation is so unusual because iron would be one of the more valuable things to salvage from a destroyed building.  The grill must have been buried deep enough to not be visible to salvagers.

Also, since it was an exterior window in the kitchen it implies that extra ventilation was necessary in that room because of one or more cooking fires since the chimney was not invented until much later.  With a tiled, solid roof smoke could not escape that way like it would with a thatched roof.

GNM

I believe this grate was on a window in the dressing room to the bath, the grate found 60 years ago was in a kitchen wall in the same villa. Regardless ventilation seems like the reasonable purpose. I'd love a chance to take a trowel and brush to a site like that. I used to dream about finding artefacts in ruins. Usually fabulously valuable treasure but I was dreaming, literally.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 8/12/2023 at 12:00 PM, George N. M. said:

Maybe we need a Historic Ironwork topic.

I agree, but maybe a better sub-forum title would be "Historic Metal".  It would be more inclusive.  For instance, I found this interesting (I am restoring a beam scale...:)) but it's a copper alloy.  Dream on Frosty... you never know.

https://www.heritagedaily.com/2023/07/rare-roman-steelyard-beam-found-at-milecastle-46-on-hadrians-wall/148146

Good if short article Scott, it makes me wonder what other tools were in common use at places like the milefort, crossroads, trade towns, etc. Some are obvious, blacksmith, mason, stone cutter, carpenter, tanner, leather shop, etc. but tools or perhaps instruments like an accurate perhaps "certified" scale is a type I hadn't thought of. 

Gets the imagination stirring on an overcast day. I'm obliged.

Frosty The Lucky.

Not all "official" Roman measring devices were accurate.  A modius (sort of a bronze bucket used to measure grain for tax in kind holding about a peck) was found at Chesters Roman Fort on Hadrians Wall which has an inscription stating that it holds 17.5 units when it actually hold 20.8.  Someone was skimming about 15% over the official tax rate. 

GNM