I Forge Iron

I plan on building a solid fuel forge soon and tractor supply sells anthracite coal but no bituminous in my area and charcoal is expensive to buy but I have the means to make charcoal. I want to decide on one type  of fuel because I've read here that certain forge designs  are better suited to coal or charcoal 

We have two bottom blast coal forges. One I built and another Army Pack forge and one side blast charcoal forge I built.

Personally if I were to build another forge, it would be another side blast. My reasoning is the side blast will work just as well with coal or charcoal. If I were inclined to make my own charcoal, that would be my fuel choice also. Charcoal burns clean without any clinker. The coal we use is bituminous, that we buy through our membership in the BOA (Blacksmith Organization of Arkansas). I tried anthracite coal and didn't like it because with hand crank blowers it's hard to keep it lit. An electric blower will keep it lit but We prefer the hand crank blowers.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails.

Good smithing coal should be available in Virginia. Have you tried a Farrier supply? Lots of guys still shoe horses with coal forges. 

If you have to chose one type forge chose sideblast, they only have trouble with clinker if they're build incorrectly. Have you looked through the JABOD thread? It's as simple as it gets and Charles has set out the rules in plain English. . . Somewhere in there.:rolleyes: 

The secret is to put the tuyere pipe entrance in the trench a couple inches above the bottom so there's room for the crud to settle below the fire. It's a V trench with a slightly widened bottom. 

Charcoal is easy to make and if you design the forge for it you can burn wood just fine. You forge in the burning charcoal that settles in the bottom of the fire. My complaint about forging with wood is they radiate a LOT of heat from the flames so a heat shield is a good idea.

Frosty The Lucky.

So, call farriers and ask if they'll pick up a sack for you next time they resupply. Offer a few bucks over retail for the trouble. Some farriers may keep a large supply on hand so they don't have to drive that far more than they have to. 

Talk to the local ABANA affiliate blacksmith club, they may buy it by the 20 yard dump or rail car for members. Might have to join the club but there are worse fates.

I gotta ask Anvil. Just how good IS that coffee?

Frosty The Lucky.