I Forge Iron

I recommend a bench or pedestal to support and use a drill press and a cut-off saw for metal

hi sorry if I disturb for my small blacksmith shop I would like to make a large sturdy bench on which to place the drill press on one side and a metal saw on the other side, an acquaintance suggested me to make two truncated pyramid pedestals and create two workstations, one to cut and segment the bars, one to drill the pieces, what do you recommend, I have a small shop and need to optimize space, thanks.

altezza 90cm larghezza del piano superiore 30cm profondita 40cm inclinazione delle gambe circa 6 gradi

Looks like to me you have everything under control! and a very nice vid. For me to give a better answer, I'd need to know where your forge setup is and what is its importance in your work, meaning do you do mostly fab work or blacksmithing? 

I think you've made yourself a fine stand for your drill press and it will take up as little room as it can so long as you can move it if necessary.

When I was working out of a very small space I had a bench top drill press similar to yours but I kept it under the bench and brought it out when I needed it. I drilled 4 small holes in the bench top for the rubber feet on the drill press fit in. My entire bench was 30" x 6" and to use my horizontal vertical cut off band saw I had to roll it out on the deck. Heck, to do much of anything in the space I had to roll the saw and most other stuff outside. That space was the arctic entry on my mobile home and 6' x 8'. Anything large had to be assembled outside on the deck of my car trailer. The anvil and forge lived in a locked shed out back. 

There was just no way I was going to do any smithing in a mobile home arctic entry. A little grass smoldering was no big deal so my smithing stuff had to be hauled out of the shed. Learned to forge weld in direct sunlight, using a propane forge had the advantage of letting me see the steel while it was in the fire so it was reasonably easy to judge heat. 

The only reason the neighbors didn't complain was because I sharpened knives and did light repairs gratis. Heck, the neighborhood kids would gather around to watch and every now and then one of the Moms would bring me something to drink, even a bite to eat a couple times. They didn't need to wonder where their kids were is I was making noise in the yard.

Minimal set up, good times. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

New to this forum and very new to blacksmithing.  Currently doing research and taking a class next month and reading in my minimal spare time.  But I have a working shop on my farm where I work on my equipment, vehicles, fabricate different things.  I have welders, plasma cutter, oxy/acetylene torches, etc. in my 40x80 shop.  I built this fabrication station last winter because I was tired of having to dig out the various things on my benches to use them.  

I have one grinder with two types of stones, one grinder with two types of wire wheels, belt sander/wheel sander, my Dewalt band saw mounted and my drill press.  Wheels lock in place and becomes stationary when I need to use it and can roll it out of the way when I don't need it.

51847144518_6c6d8bc001_c.jpg