I Forge Iron

I am in need of help to keep on making and learning !

Hello, 

I am in urgent need of some assistance in continuing my practice. I have graduated Brighton university with a degree in 3D design and craft. Whilst studying I discovered my love for smithing kitchen knives and have produced a few different designs of finished blades. 

Whilst I am pleased to have finished, the fact remains that I do not have the facilities to continue to practice my craft. I am very keen to continue making and learning and would greatly appreciate any advice for grants/jobs/schemes or contacts of people that have forge workspace/need help with their forge/are willing to let me come watch and help them out. 

I am living in Brighton but am willing to relocate and travel to anywhere at all. 

This craft is my passion and at this pivotal moment in my career I want to take every opportunity I can.

Thank you for your time and I hope you all have a great day !

-Saul Showell Nicholas   

Welcome aboard from 7500 feet (2286 meters) in SE Wyoming, USA.  Glad to have you.

First, which Brighton are you in?  The one in the UK or one of the several in the USA?

Pursuing a career in blacksmithing or blade making is a very significant life decision with lots of considerations.  You are on the beginning of a significant learning curve and the best way to learn what you need to is to be taught.  This can come from several ways.  You can attend courses to teach the cart.  These can be weekends or longer periods.  There is often a tuition involved.  You could apprentice with an established smith and learn the craft while earning your keep by working.  Or you can approach it by yourself with videos, books and your own mistakes.  This is probably the least optimum method.  Many of us have gone down this road, myself included.

Besides learning the craft itself you then have to know how to turn your skills into money in your pocket.  For this you need business training.  This is a very different set of skills and knowledge from manipulating metal.  Again, you can take courses or try it through self learning.  Folk who attempt the latter often crash and burn.

And, if you are aiming for supporting yourself and any present or future family you have to consider that you are one accident or illness away from being out of work and having your income cease until you are back on your feet.

I suggest that you browse through the thread "Business Side of Blacksmithing" here on I Forge Iron.  There is a lot of good advice there.

I am not trying to discourage you but you need to go into the craft and the business with open eyes and make informed decisions.  Most of us are hobby smiths who have or had "day jobs" to support ourselves and our families while smithing is a creative outlet which can bring in some supplemental income and can support itself.  There are successful full time smiths but, generally, they are the best of the best for design and skill and are good business folk.  If you want to see some of the work a very skilled smith does look at the photos posted by Alexandr from St. Petersburg, Russia in the "What I Did in the Shop Today" thread.

Good luck and we will try to help with advice and suggestions.  Keep us informed about how it goes.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Saul, George just gave you the best advice that can be given. I advise that you read it carefully, then decide how you are going to proceed. This is a very enjoyable craft, I am just doing it as a hobby, but it is a self sufficient hobby for me. 

Welcome from the Ozark mountains USA... I suggest you contact BABA (British Artist Blacksmith Assoc.) They may have a lot of help for you. Good luck in your endeavors.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/220-baba-british-artist-blacksmiths-assoc/

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus