I Forge Iron

Post Vise Identification Help

bikebuilder

Now the fun begins-got to try to get something loose (it’s definitely stuck-every moving part). I’m looking forward to this restoration project and would love any advice on the approximate age if anyone has any insights. From the look of the jaws, and some of the details I’m thinking maybe hand forged? Any idea how old? No visible makers mark yet (maybe under all that rust). Any suggestions as to where to look?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_5189.jpeg

The standard procedures, spray with penetrating oil or 50/50 ATF and acetone.  Let it soak in and spray again, and again, and etc.  Look into electrolysis derusting or evaporust.  Go slow, it did not get rusty overnight so be patient. 

When it starts to break loose, do not try to disassemble things.  Use that tiny bit of movement to apply more solution and let it slowly move down between the parts.  

Post vises are notoriously hard to identify or date because very few of them were marked by the manufacturer  and the basic style has remained unchanged for centuries.

As I am sure you know, yours has had the post cut off.  That is not uncommon when many were converted to bench vises.  My small (4" jaws) post vise was treated the same.  I had a welding shop well a new post on and it has worked well for 40+ years.  I usually use my larger and more robut one (6" jaws) these days but the small one works just fine.

As a general rule, most post vises, IMO, date to the late 19th or early 20th centuries when there were the highest number of working smiths and home/farm blacksmith set ups.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

Nice Vise, the good news is that the rear screw piece knob is not busted off!

A LOT of Vises had that destroyed from people trying to use it as a swag post!

The Leg and Screw Rod can be made easy enough.

She just needs some TLC!