I Forge Iron

Esab power cut 875

I have a plasma cutter I got cheap (really cheap) because it is three phase. ( it will run on single phase, but the guy who sold it too me did not realize that)  it powers on and starts. I can even get the pilot to fire from the panel, but the gun won’t do anything. I put new consumables in it ( cost more than the machine) but I can’t get fire? Any idea what I should look at ( possibly a less questionable machine, yes it has occurred to me) This is one of the newer “rounded” chassis models and is by all appearances and reviews a fine machine, when it works…

I found a thread on welding web with discussion of a similar problem and links to service manuals. It comes if you google ESAB PCM 875. 

Also, it looks like some parts of the machine are powered from two of the three input legs, so if you had the wrong leads connected to the single phase, it wouldn’t work (though I don’t know exactly what would go wrong). 

Ok before I speak I have no experience with plasma cutters so if I'm wrong or way off feel free to let me know.

But from what I am seeing if your consumables are good and connections are good you should check air? Not enough air or to much or contaminated?

Again I don't know just trying be helpful.