I Forge Iron

Kuhn Reiter K0, help needed

hello there, I am brand new to this forum, because I live in Germany and I couldn't find any help here for my problem. 

I am working with a Kuhn Reiter K0 for the past six years and never had any trouble. Recently though, there is an issue with the hammerhead, quite a bit of air comes out while the head is beating down and the beating has lost a bit of its force. I checked the belt and they are tight as ever, the oilflow is normal and everything is well coated, so I think ist a problem with the silling of the front piston. 

Can anybody help me get an exploded drawing of that particular model K0 so I can plan, what to open and to do? I contacted Angele, but they couldn't help me with that. 

Any help and suggestions are very much appreciated. Sorry for my bad knowledge of the right terms, I hope

Best regards, Jan 

Welcome aboard Jan, glad to have you. Doesn't the manufacturer of the hammer have drawings? I just did a quick web search and didn't find anything helpful but I only gave a quick look. Don't you have a manual? 

From your description of what it's doing my first thought is a worn or bad seal on the tup. Does it leak on the upstroke or downstroke? 

I've never looked inside a Kuhn and heck only used one a little bit almost 30 years ago but from pictures I've seen they aren't a lot different than in the basics. You should be able to pull the top cap off  the cylinder and screw a lift ring into the top of the tup. Then release the top dies from the rod and GENTLY pull it out the top. 

I don't know what kind of seals it has so you'll need to look and buy them. Replace the gasket between the cylinder and cap when you put it back together.

I did get to take a look at the insides of a number of self contained power hammers many years ago when I visited Bob Bergman and every darned one was the same. Different details but no real differences. Nazel or Beche and one other I can't recall came apart as I described above. 

You'll need a cable hoist or similar with a support to lift it out and ease it back in of course.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good Morning from the west of Canada,

I have a Reiter, made before the name changed to Kuhn 24. The documentation I have, I ordered from Centaur Forge in the USA. Bill Peih owned Centaur Forge, he has since passed away. His daughter is Peih Tools, I think both are still in business. I have not had a problem finding parts, from the Machinery world. Industrial parts suppliers. Some, you may have to make, but the sealing rings should go by dimension. Remember, the USA is not Metric. Do your conversion with a calculator.

Good Luck, Neil

You might try Althaus to see if they have manuals for your power hammer. I couldn't find an image of yours online but I didn't want to spend hours searching. 

I wrote the above yesterday before getting called away and I'm happy to see some good ideas posted. I wish I could be more help almost as much as I wish I owned a Kuhn or equivalent modern power hammer. Sweet machines I love the level of control, from barely getting carbon paper to transfer to smooshing 1" bar to spatula thick in a single blow and that was a Kuhn K40.

Frosty The Lucky. 

I have had a kb1 and a k24 apart before, but it was quite a long time ago. I seem to recall that seal being either leather or some sort of felt packing (?) that was kind of a pain to get to seal right when replaced. I may be confusing it with one of the Turkish hammers we had at the time. I know we had issues with the hoses between the compressor and power cylinders rupturing. The Kuhn is still being made I believe (?) though not these models. There is a chance that they would have helpful literature.

thank you all so much for your warm welcome and your interest in my problem. I have searched the Web for quite some time now and since the company Kuhn doesn't exist anymore, there is no actual information on this particular hammer anywhere to find. I had a very nice conversation with a Mr Waspel from the company "angele", the successor and provider of spare parts for these old hammers from Germany and it gave me the confidence to open the hammer and remove a little spring loaded ball in the air valve right before the front piston. as I cleaned it the hammer started to punch very hard and quite fast but didn't move up anymore. I managed to adjust the lever inside which is connected to the footlever outside and voila-it runs smooth as new. 

The air that comes out maybe caused by a "nutenstein" as you call it in German, it's the guidance of the up and down motion of the "bär", the Hammer itself and this nutenstein may be worn out. I am going to check it, but this means to remove all the parts of the front piston and I don't have time for that right now. 

today in the afternoon I forged a kindling splitter just like the one torbjörn ahman showed in one of his latest videos. it was fun and it was very satisfying to fell the "new" power of my little powerhammer. 

thank you all so much, my best regards 

Jan