I Forge Iron

Bending Jig for square stock with tapered ends

LA9436

Hello!

I am trying to make a large batch of hearts (seen on the anvil below) and would like to make the process as efficient as possible. I can taper the ends and bend the middles quite well at this point but I am still struggling to get consistent results bending the ends around into the middle. I have made 2 tools (shown in the pictures) but the tool on the anvil causes the ends of the bar stock to twist when I hit it with the hammer, and the tool in the vice loses grip of the tapered end of the stock. Is there a better/faster way I can bend the ends of the stock?

image3 (1).jpeg

image2 (6).jpeg

image1 (3).jpeg

image0 (3).jpeg

Bend the tapered ends while HOT.  
If the two tapered ends do not close exactly, heat the bottom of the heart and close the gap at the tapers.

Photos of the stock in the bending tooling will help us see what and how you are doing things.

I would turn them hot over the horn or over the edge of your anvil. If you have a lot to do, I can almost guarantee you that when done, they will all match and be far quicker to do than with any jig. Great opportunity to begin mastering a basic skill. I suggest this because you are already on a really good forging roll.

As for sequence of steps to best match your two sides I would :

1:Cut to length

2:lightly centerpunch the center

3: champfer edges and forge tapers. Check for twist and that all lengths on both sides of the center punch are the same.

4: Turn scrolls on one side of the center punch and match to a sample piece or chalk drawing on your table, preferably to your test piece. check for twist

5:Turn scrolls on the other branch, match to sample and check for twist.

6: make the center bend with proper sized scrolling wrench and bending forks.

Done

Have fun.

If you would prefer a jig of some sort, i would actually use a scrolling wrench. Or even  pair of pliers or vise grips. The scrolling wrench wont mar the surface like pliers or vise grips will though. Use them to "lock" the tapered end down, and bend the bar. Oh, i would bend it hot as well. 

I do not usually use a socket but since that is what you have i put one in my vise just to give an idea of what i mean. My wrench is much to big for that and that was the best angle i could get trying to hold wrench, stock, and take a photo at the same time. 

image.thumb.jpeg.87bf65644d1e3dbad6dcf494187e4034.jpeg