I Forge Iron

Fireplace set

Hello all, my mum wants me to forge a fireplace set but she is very picky and I don't want to make something that she doesn't like so I thought that I would show her a few pictures and make something similar to a one she liked. So if anyone or everyone could post pictures of a fireplace set they have seen or made I would appreciate it. 

Here is the set i made for m parents last Christmas. It was my mom who suggested the broom handle be shorter to make it more wieldable when in use. The broom is one i bought at the local hardware store and just put my own handle on. A whole broom cost like $8 where a replacement head for one was like $10 or $12. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d85f29a9f811d1d0e3082f831d9f0f7b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.09791fa0f643364bfd5c224e27dc12af.jpeg

I made this to hang it on the wall rather than a stand that can keep getting knocked over. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e6b363e4f7f938076a80301db8549a7a.jpeg

John at the the Black Bear Forge on Youtube just did a video of a rather nice set as well. May want to check it out.

Edit: Those are US dollars just to clarify.

If you do a search like this ( fireplace set site:iforgeiron.com ) without the brackets using your favorite search engine like Google or duck duck go. There are quite a few threads on making them. Sadly the early posts the pictures were lost so only look at the later posts 2012 or later.

The swage i used is actually the one they are laying on in the pic. The other side has a shovel form. I have doen them on the anvil though and you can also cut and bend into square shovels. Using the anvil the sides are not to difficult, just use the corner of the anvil, but the back, or what i have always called the heel, is a bit tricky. I use the step of the anvil and hit it with the corner of my hammer. It takes time and is fussy but with patience it will come out.