I Forge Iron

"Indian Chief" anvil history inquiry

rmbyerly

Hi all! I'm a contract archaeologist mostly working aboard NAWS China Lake, in Inyo County, CA. I have a probable branding site that I'm pretty sure I can tie to a local Panamint speaker (Timbisha Shoshone) of local note whose family grazed horses in the area between roughly 1850 and 1960. The site's archaeology broadly points to a late 19th-early 20th century timeframe, but its assemblage incorporates an "Indian Chief" anvil that I'd like to pinpoint a manufacturing date on, but I can't well match its serial numbers to those listed in AIA. According to my recording crew, it's stamped "T4 9A5S1331". I'm guessing the 1331 indicates a manufacture date of 1898, but I'm clueless as to the other numbers and letters. Any thoughts? Unfortunately, I don't have the pictures they took, as the Navy hasn't yet approved them.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Interesting if the site includes an anvil it was more than a branding site, it was probably a semi permanent camp. We're going to need a little more info, a few pics anyway. I have an Indian Chief leg vice and another that looks identical but is 1" wider with another name & logo. There were a number of anvil makers that were more than happy to include whatever name and or logo the retailer was willing to pay for. One common maker that did this routinely was Fisher and the anvils are pretty distinctive but we need a picture. 

Wish I could be more help. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, thanks much for the info. regarding Fisher! I wish I could just look at, let alone share, the pictures. They are on Navy cameras and need to be approved by Navy reviewers before being passed on to us, the process for which is...lengthy. It's highly unlikely that I'll see them before the report goes out.

I believe Fisher had the contract to supply anvils to the navy in the day. Anvils painted enough layers of battleship gray to double the weight were pretty common. IIRC the bolt eyes in a Fisher anvil's foot were specified to secure the aboard shop or maybe the reason they won the contract.

Josh probably knows! HEY JOSH!!

Frosty The Lucky.

Scott NC, the site was found during the course of a contracted archaeological survey aboard NAWS CL. Under Section 110 of the National Historic Preservation Act, government agencies, like military bases, must manage and maintain historic properties (i.e., cultural resources eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places) in their jurisdiction. Ground surveys to find potential historic properties are an integral first step in management and maintenance. Essentially, they are required to know what and how many historical properties they have to protect them or otherwise mitigate data loss. This work is often farmed out to independent contractors, like the company I work for.