I Forge Iron

A little Jewellery holder

Simian

I was asked to make a ring & jewellery holder. 6mm steel & Oak. The bowl is held to the steel with a Magnet set into the oak.

IMG_0148.thumb.jpg.f03b2a58c824bf19e6474148ff04816b.jpg

IMG_0147.thumb.jpg.83c3752fb710f379951bb507829d1e2c.jpg

IMG_0146.thumb.jpg.ca31979757bda0735df0c65b49630c77.jpgIMG_0145.thumb.jpg.880910f4c8c84d653aa7de5bd7f5acf3.jpg

I'm still new at this, so critique is welcome. I know I rushed it a little, the finish is a bit rough & ready with too many hammer marks.

Looks good, I like it. The only thing I would change personally is taking off the sharp corners on the base. Though going from that sharp edge raw stock transferring to the smoother forged look may well have been an intentional design choice. Looks good either way. I like that you used a piece of oak with those small cracks, gives the piece some nice character. 

It looks pretty good. A lot of people like and expect the rough and ready look and none of your hammer marks are serious nor look intentional. The transition from raw stock, (flat bar) to a fluid shape is attractive. It's what makes RR spikes so popular, everybody  knows what one is and to be able to see and feel the transition is popular and marketable. The only thing I would like better would be if the wood bowl and curved steel under it matched a little better.

All in all, well done.

Frosty The Lucky.