I Forge Iron

Demoor P3 (75kg) Oilers

Hey everyone,

I recently acquired a really old Demoor P3 (75kg) power hammer, serial number 12. Its in very good condition. Only problem is that its missing the 2 oilers on top of both cylinders. I have one where the thread is broken off for refrence. I just can't seem to find anything like these. The mechanism works as follows: when the ram of the cylinder goes up the ball lifts of its seat because of the air pressure and a small amount of oil flows through. This can be adjusted by turning a screw that allows the ball bearing to jump up higher or lower. Picture of the mechanism down below.

Anyone know where I might be able to find these? A last resort would also be making new ones on my lathe. 

Thanks in advance,

image.thumb.jpeg.9dc66683e1c201d598c06489242d0f85.jpeg

thumbnail_oliepot.thumb.jpg.2c8493f295c9af41020f355249d455a6.jpg

IMG20221206165126.thumb.jpg.9b0af7802930a5129e3c9c6ccdf364a6.jpg

IMG20221206164954.thumb.jpg.ad61f48af4ce1a2b351754b116e6b70e.jpg

8 minutes ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

I believe they are called a constant level oiler a quick google search brought up a few sites that carry them, kinda expensive though.

Aren't those to keep a constant level of oil, like in an engine sump? 

43 minutes ago, anvil said:

nice to have the tools to make your repairs!

Indeed, its always nice to have the right tools for the job.

Check ball fittings aren't uncommon it shouldn't be too hard to find one that works under an oil cup. It should just be a matter of matching the hammer's threads

These things weren't built to "need" special fittings and tools smiths and shop maintenance were supposed to be able to repair them as little trouble as possible.

If you can't find anything that'll work a spring loaded check ball valve like that would be really easy to make. Give a shout if you can't find what you need.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Check ball fittings aren't uncommon it shouldn't be too hard to find one that works under an oil cup. It should just be a matter of matching the hammer's threads

These things weren't built to "need" special fittings and tools smiths and shop maintenance were supposed to be able to repair them as little trouble as possible.

If you can't find anything that'll work a spring loaded check ball valve like that would be really easy to make. Give a shout if you can't find what you need.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you Frosty, I will see what I can find. Making an adaptor wouldn't be too difficult, if I use a bolt thats the same size and tap trough it, it should be fine. Strange thing about these oilers is that they use metric threading and not gas threads so I will probably have to make an adaptor either way. 

2 hours ago, jason0012 said:

They look simple enough. You could likely get new ones made at a machine shop. No idea what that would cost. I would turn them out myself, but I am stubborn like that.. 

Yes I could definitely give it a shot on the lathe. I think the only hard part would be is getting the seat of the ball right so it doesn't leak oil.

Seating the bearing ball is the easy part once the threads are sorted out. Chase the upwards end of the lower fitting a couple thousandths larger than the ball. Then center drill a dowel that fits easily into the chased hole and epoxy a bearing ball of the correct size to the dowel, chuck it in a drill, apply automotive valve grinding compound and apply to the bottom of the chased fitting. Use coarse valve grinding compound, once it's close you can skip grit steps. 

I've done this on a 10,000 casing jack pump following similar instructions from a guy at a hydraulics shop who's unscrupulous owner insisted it was un-repairable and needed replacement. 

Oh, remember to chase the fitting deep enough so a little spring fits between it and the oil cup.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Frosty. I hope to find a valve like you said earlier that I can adapt to a regular reservoir, otherwise this method sounds like a good idea. I will post an update soon.

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote.