I Forge Iron

Help ID this anvil

We bought a house and found this old anvil in the garage. I love it and want to use it for decoration. But, I keep having people that want to buy it. So, I thought I would try to come up with a price for it. However, I can’t even identify it. The only markings I can find are the 70 below the horn. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m hoping I can add pictures in the comments. I can’t figure out how to add them to the post. 

Start a new post for your pictures.  Scroll down to the bottom of the text pane and select "choose files":

Select the pics you want and add to the post.  Similar to how you attach pictures to an email.  Sent the post and your pics will be attached.  Don't send big multi-MB files..resize if necessary.  Go for it.

Welcome from the Ozark mountains.

It does look like a Vulcan, but all of the Vulcan's I have seen have the Arm & Hammer with Vulcan cast into the right side. The early Vulcan's were made by the Illinois Iron & Bolt Company. Take a real close look for I I & B Co. stamped somewhere. Here is a picture of our Vulcan with the logo. Note the 10 cast in which is the weight more or less. I put it on a bathroom scale and it weighs 110 pounds.

100_1800.thumb.JPG.35179ebbad2e109dc113f1bc0304ceb2.JPG

2 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Looks like a Vulcan to me,

seems to be in decent usable shape, depending on where you live you should be able to get $2-$3 a pound on the low end and $4-$5 a pound top dollar,

Thank you for the info. I’m in Oklahoma. Where would I even go to sell it?

Make contact with the Salt Fork Craftsmen Blacksmith Ok folks.

Click on the browse "plug" found on top left of the page. Go to the bottom of that page and locate, U.S., then Salt Forge entry and click it. They should be able to assist you.

SLAG.

I’m in Stilwell Oklahoma where bouts are you located?

we have blacksmiths all over the state an there’s always someone looking for tools,

to answer your question, you can sell it directly to a blacksmith or beginner blacksmith, you can take it to a blacksmith meet an probably sell it easy,

id avoid consignment auctions an flea markets because they are gonna want 10% to 20% of your sale,

You’ll do much better selling to an individual,

we have a tailgate section here on I forge Iron that you can post it for sale on, at the top of the main pg