I Forge Iron

Kid's efforts

On the last weekend the kids had a go by themselves and turned up a couple of useful tools.

The nine year old made the poker, drew the point, drew the 3/8" stock out for the handle and made the handle with a bit of advice from dad which was not too welcome at times. Overall he is very proud of his efforts.

The eleven year old made the fire hook. He rounded the hook end and made the right angle bend, with a bit more generally unwelcome advice from dad he made the scroll on the end of the handle and turned up the handle from a diagram I drew.

Not a bad effort for them both, I am very happy.

Good first efforts!

How many hours a day do you think you'll be able to get out of them? :rolleyes:

Next time they don't want advice let them fail, set them up to fail if you have to. Then show them how it works your way. Lastly explain that once they become more accomplished they'll be able to do all kinds of things in ways you can't.

Telling the student I'm showing them how I do it, not the only way, they become much more receptive to doing it my way. Each one has come up with their own techniques later on but I expect that from the talented ones.

Some will never innovate, they'll do it exactly how they've been shown and some will argue it's the ONLY way to do IT. S'okay, everyone has his/er place.

Frosty