I Forge Iron

Austrian? anvil identity

Hello all, 

I recently picked up this anvil, mostly because of its odd shape. Interesting! wondering if anyone has more info on it? I haven’t seen another one like this in person, though from research online it looks to be Austrian perhaps. 

130 lbs, great rebound. Hardy is 1 1/4”, Large for an anvil this size imo. The odd radius on the far edge is particularly interesting to me. Any idea what it’s intended use was? I plan to put this thing to work, it will be interesting working with that feature. 

thanks for any help! 

Nick

21D60639-8B80-4864-98E8-0660D5EA62B5.jpeg

74163161-3CE4-4566-9FA7-DDFBF81F84D2.jpeg

A2A76F60-95B4-4BB2-AA4A-560D98E10C15.jpeg

704A212F-3DD1-4BF6-AADB-9178D625AD83.jpeg

B7EF6200-3B45-4818-8015-D95E5B7859C4.jpeg

It makes sense that the horn is centered with the face. 
I believe the angled section is referred to as a breast and if I understand correctly was on the striker’s side. The breast reinforcing the edge for heavy blows. I could see it reducing cold shunts also. Joey Van der Steeg had a couple videos on them back before he pulled every off YouTube. (I’m glad he put some back up, but there was a lot of information I still miss…)

Keep it fun,

David

Hello,

looks like a Skoda made anvil.

Goods is correct about the term of the "breast", although these smaller ones are often called "half-breast".

This type is often referred to as "Austrian" or "Steyrisch" (City, river and region in Austria) - pattern, although they mostly come with stepped double feet, called "Doppelfüße", or even triple feet. The so called "Bohemian" pattern includes some decorative arches on the side of the breast. All in all, it is a common form of anvil from around that geographical area.

Cheers!

Julian