I Forge Iron

Old World Anvils?

Judehey

I'm looking at the 167# Two Horn Classic as my first real anvil. The size and pattern are what im looking for, the price is reachable, and it's a reasonable drive for pickup. Vendor says it's 4340 with the top third hardened to 50-52 Rockwell. It looks good to me.  Does anybody have experience with this anvil or the brand in general? Im having trouble finding reviews. Thanks. 

Not really knowing the manufacture of the anvil it's hard to review it. I can tell you this. I have used several double horn anvils at ESSA and TWISTEDWILLOW'S hammer in BOA meeting and I absolutely love them. As long as the rebound and ring are good, I would grab one if the price was affordable.

I believe they are manufactured by branco in Czechoslovakia. A few guys on YouTube have used them and/or are still using them. I think black bear forge has one he has used in the past, he now uses a Fontanini anvil, and I think old hickory forge currently uses one.

My thoughts are if the price of a new anvil is close too or the same as a used one then go with the new. Modern metallurgy is better by far than anything they did 100+ years ago.

Not much help here but I have one of their 17lb bench anvils and I like it. I have only forged steel on it once but worked well and left no marks or dings and it was spring steel that I was forging. 

The face is hard and it rings like a little bell. Mine is a little church window style and I love the shape.

I know they are cast rather than forged. 

I like mine well enough that I would try a new one but I chose a Kanca instead for the South German horn shape mostly and I wanted a forged anvil for some reason that rather escapes me now. 

I doubt you could go wrong with it and I say go for it

• 1 month later...

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. Pictures may help and knowing where in the world you are located. As far as I know Wilkinson did not serial number their anvils so figuring out an age is difficult. They did change the logo so a picture will offer a clue. The only thing I'm sure of it should weigh 78 pounds more or less.

Thanks Irondragon, Greetings from down under... New Zealand.  I think the anvil could be 1870 ish.   I will post a photo soon.  All photos of Wilkinson anvils I have seen have the double line X. Strange that mine has a stamp like a plus sign.