I Forge Iron

A little knowledge welding the venturi head

Pigsticker

. I was taught to build a forge here. Now I'm stuck with 5" of 1.5" cable and part of a newer burner melted into a hard puddle at the bottom of my forge. Is there anyway to remove the metal. It was literal burn in for new matrikote. If I can just rematrikote over the steel  that easy and cool with me. Does burned steel in a forge hurt anything. Does it make toxic air? My last question is about cracks in my mortar layer around the forge opening. I'm worried about the bottom layer of the lining that's kaowool does it escape from cracks. I've got a little one who is great company. Thanks for any info.

I hope this is a real place to post. I'm heeding mod42 advisement

Tx16665647815241995827206320195105.thumb.jpg.190829a7f49be7f3d7f0538062da9be2.jpg

16665648317967220310920703198102.thumb.jpg.7a105a98d87cf4a54d53577e5fc1b7c1.jpg

Thank you very much for your advice. If I just cover up the metal and cracks w matrikote, will there be any poison smoke from burnt steel? It's seems firmly stuck to the floor. I have no kastolite left or matrikote. I could definitely live with just buying 1 more baggy of matrikote. I've been concerned about how much trouble spews out from those cracks, it seems as if they'd break ofter

Thanks 

I now know my forge gets hot "enough"

Didn't realize i melted the burner until I saw it in the picture

Tx again

My forge and a friend's forge have both melted steel accidentally.  His because it was insulated so well; mine, well the lining was do to be replaced; but students tended to be very very hard on the kaowool.  So I was putting the reline off and just cranking up the propane regulator to keep the interior hot enough to forge.  Well I finally broke down and did a total reline; but forgot to turn the gas regulator back to it's "normal" position...I put a billet in and got to talking with someone and lost track of time and when I went back to check on the billet it was a nice puddle of molten steel.

You fitting may have been cast iron which melts way lower than steel!

It's funny you bring this regulator thing up. My forge appears to have one too. It runs fine at 2-3 psi but this was at 13.5-15psi. Do you use that regulator thing to adjust heat? I was barely opening the tank for red flames and the cutoff to. Never considered regulator. What's a good psi or size flame out of the forge when rolling. I looked for the steel I was burning around my basement sure I'd not taken it out and left it to the side. Checked everywhere

Thank you 

I even lost 3 brand new k26 bricks to breakage? They weren't falling over and they weren't broken when I set them down but they were when I picked them up

Tx

And thank you tp, you told me to hit it. it ran through my head the other night made and sense. when I was hot enough to weld it finally so I hit it. I'd spent months working on the light tap but this was like molten metal and it take some blows just fine. I wasn't coming up with anything and then I remembered " hit" it successfully. There's a huge difference in hot and cold metal 

Tx 

Autocorrect is a murder. I'm unclear enough 

Tx

Did you have the burner nozzle IN the forge? I thought we went over keeping is pulled back as far from the chamber as possible. That's why your burner melted, they're cast iron and have a melting temp a few hundred degrees lower than steel. Remember also you can turn it down as Thomas points out above.

Cable is made up of individual strands and so conducts more slowly than a solid bar, when you hit the outer strands with a super forge temp they will melt before the strands below are hot and the center might even still be relatively cool. 

The remains of the last piece of cable is the same so if you decide to warm it all up again to try picking it out of a softer HOT liner you'll need to heat it slowly, et it soak at red for a while before turning the burner up and bringing it to orange and letting it soak before turning it up and going for yellow. By a while I'm thinking 15 mins+ per soak. 

Welcome to the club, I think most everybody here running a propane forge has cemented something to the forge floor. Next time the cable starts to crumble get it all out while it's HOT.

I have no idea what covering the debris with Matrikote will do but the debris will still have a much lower melting temp than the Matrikote and could cause issues, say an old piece of cable welds itself to the next billet. Hmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.

,This is  the one really chipped side where blanket is exposed and the other is to show burner in relation to hole. I can't go any higher because I built up around the chimney like it said to.  

is this forge ok to use with a plan for fixing it in sight or has the young lad been hurt 

Thanks

16666339503102119811458905948492.jpg

16666342444678728940652952979166.jpg

Yes you can patch it.

Was the burner really that far into the forge? Or do you have to shove the burner into the forge to remove the bell reducer you're using for a flare?

Almost the entire "flare" should be outside the forge shell with just the tip penetrating just a tiny bit into the liner. Remember that for the next forge build, it makes a big difference.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks guys. will this 1/2" Burner go on exactly or will do I need adapters. I was also gonna have to cut the existing venturi tube out. Just get the same size of any material? The old burner is stick to it and won't unscrew. 

I don't know the names of the venturi parts, but the fuel tube goes through the forge walls and then I screwed on a burner, and then used set screws to hold the tube in place vertically . I packed refractory on the top of this burner cause everything said it pack it too to save. If I cut all that out of place, will the forge be ok to burn again without kaowool attention. Many thanks for helping guys

nevermind, I broke down and bought more kastolite and matrikote, ( I found small quantities at least.) The whole kaowool thing has me watching out for my little one. I think I know what the answers are.

thanks 

thanks for size help on venturi too. I'm going with stainless because it melts slower and I'm gonna reread 101 for a while

I find BTU ratings are misleading and confusing like everybody comparing psi. Too many people selling burners just throw the numbers out there as marketing. Without context they don't do much good even if they're correct. 

However did you think this through? The 100k burner melted your work, itself and damaged the forge and the one you ordered to replace it has 30% higher output. You might want to put the new one on the shelf until you build a larger forge and buy / build a smaller burner. Say, 75k BTUs?

Sorry for the sidetrack. Do you have access to a drill press? If so It'll be my honor and privilege to talk you through building a T burner, once you've made one it'll only get easier making more. Honest they are as easy to make as I could make them.

Frosty The Lucky.

135psi! :o Yes, YES I DO! Bad idea BAD BAD!!  Heh, heh, heh, good one.:rolleyes:

Isn't your regulator adjustable? Being able to turn the burner up or down is important, especially making cable damascus. You need the lower temp soak time to get the center hot without burning the outer strands. Do you go to garage, yard, etc. sales? I've picked up regulators and hoses for under $5 at them and passed them on. Tanks too 20lb. propane tanks are almost give aways at yard sales.

Maybe a 1/2" sidearm burner will work for you. Hmmmm.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes I control the burner totally with a regulator.  Note that unless regularly tested a regulator gauge can be off quite a bit! 

Comparing PSI between set ups is a loser's game. I tune by eye and by ear and so never worry if the regulator got dinged last rod trip. 

I think my cheapest HP propane regulator was US$3 at a fleamarket and most expensive was US$35 brand new at the propane supply place in town.