I Forge Iron

Please help me identify these marks

I am new to this entire life, but came across an old bench that may be of some interest. I live in Pearl River, LA, so not too far from New Orleans, and I am sure we all know the history-rich area. Someone suggested I find out who made these smiting marks. It appears to be on a kid's bench. It is wrought iron, and is definitely not of today's quality. The stars in the arches above the feet are very "Colonial" in design and the "E" and (I'm guessing it is a lower case) "t" very much appear to have been struck once. I am a former coin collector, so double die marks are usually clear. If anyone can help me identify these marks, I would GREATLY appreciate your time and efforts.

FB_IMG_1665883337633.jpg

FB_IMG_1665883321621.jpg

FB_IMG_1665883316496.jpg

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

Your bench is almost certainly cast iron which is made by pouring molten metal into a mold rather than wrought iron which is made by heating and bending iron or steel and then fastening the individual parts together with rivets, bands/collars, or welding.  Also, cast iron has a different chemical content (very high carbon content) and cannot be forged and has a much coarser crystalline structure.  When subjected to a force it will fail by breaking rather than bending (brittle rather than malleable).

The marks appear to me to be factory part marks/numbers  rather than any kind of company touch mark or trade mark.  It was almost certainly made in a factory or foundry.  Individual craftsmen were not set up to do cast iron pours.

This is a semi-wild guess but I would date it as late 19th or early 20th century.

The details in cast iron are "softer."  This is similar to the difference between cast and struck ancient coins, e.g. the difference between a cast early Roman dupondis or as and a struck denarius.  (Just to tie back to your mention of numistmatics.)

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Just don't try to bend it. ;-)

I recently assembled a similar modern made one.  Little has changed in the design in the last 150 years.  You can use either wood or metal for the slats for the seat and back.  In your climate I would suggest metal ( maybe rectangular steel tubing) with a good rust resistant finish.

GNM