I Forge Iron

How much is too much

I don't know does this topic exist on forum, but i am gone to open it, moderators can merge it latter or do something with it.

One youtuber was honest and said as i remember  that his videos are cut off  real forging, like in real time he wont  forge that tool that fast but he used to cut that boring part of hammering or grinding, so my question in all framework what is done on internet how much off that stuff is real, motivational for some folks, and how much of that stuff that we see on internet is fantasy for someone, not worth trying or doing.

I catch myself sometimes for example watching how to make damascus knife but i dont even know how to forge weld,  my point is how much you trust in internet , and have "false hope" that one project will work good as showed on internet, book or youtube.

Behind every fail there is some kind level of frustration. Right?

When its not worth trying something you see on internet?

This is not topic so one can get his motivation for blacksmithing killed, but its to put some things back in "reality"-

The only time you should'nt try something you've seen is if it will be overly cost prohibitive, hurt, injure you or possibly kill you. Other than that, on things people make, try it. Worst you can do is fail, and you learn something from that. 

People often cut out a lot of work or key info from videos to save time or not give away info to keep them relevant. 

If it is something you are passionate about wanting to make like damascus, you can research further and give it a try. Sometimes they might even fail. They rarely show that. Try and see if you can make whatever. Just be safe and do more research. Failing is part of learning, and if you are determined, success can be part too. 

If you see something of interest, research to find out all you can about the subject.  Then figure out a way to do it with the materials and tools available to you.  The more you research and learn going in, the better your chances for success.  You will not be perfect the first time.  You will use the first time to learn what to change to make the next one better.  Then go back to do more research and now that you have some base knowledge to work from, you can learn more about the subject.  Try again and make more changes until you can make the item you want.

This applies to anything and everything in life.  The cook in the kitchen did not make every loaf of bread perfectly.  There were a few early loaves of bread that the dogs ate, or maybe would not eat.  The cook kept what worked.  They were not afraid to bake small loaves with a different type flower, or different spices, or other changes,  They kept what worked.  Then came the day they cut the top of the loaf with a knife before baking.  It made the load look different and pretty, so they kept that idea for when they had company.  

Use your last project, or attempt, to learn what to change to make the next one better.

When you hear someone say *learning experience* or *test piece* you will know that they are trying to figure out what works.

When it comes to YouTube videos it's best to watch those that have been vetted by other blacksmith's. There are a lot of worth while videos here and pinned. I have learned a lot of new moves by watching them. Prior to learning about this list it was as you said a lot not worth trying or some were just plain dangerous.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/174-reference-materials/

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 7:36 PM, natkova said:

One youtuber was honest and said as i remember  that his videos are cut off  real forging, like in real time he wont  forge that tool that fast but he used to cut that boring part of hammering or grinding, so my question in all framework what is done on internet how much off that stuff is real, motivational for some folks, and how much of that stuff that we see on internet is fantasy for someone, not worth trying or doing.

Behind every fail there is some kind level of frustration. Right?

When its not worth trying something you see on internet?

You can learn more from a fail than an easy success.  Ive known some really good smiths over the last 40 plus years seen them all crash a project - and come out better.

Edited by Mod30
Trim quote.