I Forge Iron

Forge welding in a gasser: protecting the bottom

KYBOY

Well I just bought my first gas forge..A diamondback two burner blacksmith forge..It has a 3200* bottom brick and I was wondering how do you prolong the life while forge welding? Plates in the bottom? Any certain flux that is kinder on the brick? Thanks

Hello:

I suggest you use a sacrificial plate made from a piece of kiln shelf over a layer of at least 1/2" deep el cheapo kitty litter...that's the easiest thing to do. I do more welding in a week than most folks do all year and this works..

Flux will eat its way right on through most refractory materials at an alarming rate...this will prolong the life of your lining....

Hope this helps...

A lot of knife makers use a SS tray to protect the forge floor. ITC-100 will provide a little protection.

If it's a standard size a fire brick or two isn't so expensive to replace though, nothing compared to kiln shelving. At least in my neighborhood, yours may be just the opposite.

My little forge is rammed up with high phosphate refractory and after nearly 15 years shows no signs of flux erosion but it's darned hard to find anymore.

Frosty

Good supplier Jymm!

The stuff you're using is a phosphate bonded refractory which makes it pretty caustic resistant and flux proof.

Good choice.

High phosphate or even phosphate bonded refractory is hard for me to get since Pyramid went out of business.

Thanks for the link.

Frosty

• 3 months later...
This one has 3200* ceramic bricks in the floor..Im afraid they may be a bit expensive to replace..Should really last if i take care of them right though..

FYI the complete reline kit from diamondback is $60--- here's a link

http://www.diamondbackironworks.com/catalog/item/6592522/6453872.htm0.00 Edited by jwmotley
can't get link to highlite---computer illiterate!!! and typo