I Forge Iron

Is bending cast iron possible?

Hhr810

Magnets won't stick to cast iron? :blink:  Cast aluminum is easy to ID with a scratch, you can ID stamped BBQ bodies at a glance. I have trouble imagining anybody making cast steel BBQs, there are better things to do with the left overs in a ladle. 

Frosty The Lucky.

My point was I don't know of a cast iron a magnet won't stick to. Finding out I'm wrong A G A I N will neither surprise me nor disappoint me. 

I love that BBQ, I could make up such great stories about where it came from. Submarine mine? Debris from area 51?  Part of Vern's, Nautilus reactor? I have a small autunite specimen I could rub on it to back up the reactor stories. Make robotic legs and tell folks it's a captured Martian walker?

Oh I could have fun with it, making a walking robot would mean I didn't have to move it which would be a good thing. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Well the heat ray is great to sear in the juices!  When I was at the scrapyard today there was a metal box  chemistry kit, the box was in excellent condition but it was empty except for the holders.  I really wanted to see what they gave for the atomic experiments!    

Oh yeah, nothing beats the macrowave for cooking meat!

The atomic experiments in my chemistry set had a cool little detector made up of hanging foil strips that moved towards each other in the presence of ionizing radiation. The cloud chamber was cool and worked for the sample in the set. Mother wouldn't buy dry ice very often though. <sigh>  There was a film badge and developing chemicals. Something else too but I don't recall.

By performing the series of experiments you were supposed to be able to identify the sample. I didn't, I was much more interested in testing the hand sized autunite crystal on the mantel. I wonder what the film badge would've looked like if I hadn't put it on the autunite for an hour. The cloud chamber was amazingly congested with tracks.

I guess those are the kinds of things kids should learn during the height of a cold war. 

I wonder if that old chemistry set is still in the hoard in my Sister's garage or shed.

Frosty The Lucky.

An electroscope.  I used to have a copy of "The Scientific American book of science projects for the amateur scientist" that included things like building your own linear accelerator using a Van de Graaf generator and a home built mercury diffusion pump.  They did warn you not to irradiate anything with an atomic number greater than iron...Mutating beans was suggested.

Might be available online. Mutant zombie bean apocalypse should be avoided like making radioactive isotopes. . . Accidentally. 

I wonder if I could shoot mosquitoes dead with a particle accelerator? Mutating them wouldn't be good unless it was a vegetarian mutation.

Hmmmm.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's an evolutionary dead end, in spite of the "learned" proposals that have been made for mosquito control. :rolleyes: I'd be more than happy with a vegetarian mutation mutation, maybe one that was happy living it's entire life as little wigglers in ponds. If it has to fly maybe just lays it's eggs in other ponds.

Frosty The Lucky.