I Forge Iron

BBQ set

Now I have figured how do do the twists cold I can do 3 sets in a couple of hours.

Power tools do it for me. Lathe with a 3 hole gizmo (I'd have to think it up unless someone else chimes in with one first) in the head stock and another in the vise 20' away. 3 pieces of 1/4" rd get chucked up and turn it on.

Mark the points to cut and forge weld together first.

Forge out the finished pieces.

Frosty

Frosty sounds great but I dont have a lathe I use a 3 hole gizmo with long handles. I thread the stock through a piece of 1" pipe and that helps it stay stright (I cut a window in the pipe so I can see how the twist is progressing). Then twist til it looks right and finish. Thanks William

Looking good triw! Nice bit of smithing and refreshing to see something different.
I like the fact that you did this with a manual tool and not a modern electric lathe. There is a point where a line is crossed and it is not blacksmithing anymore. In my definition "Blacksmithing" means done by hand.
A modern machine shop is not a blacksmith shop.
A welder is not a blacksmith.
Beautiful triw, nice work. Dan.:)

That rope like twist could be used in a lot of other items as well, have you played around with it at all? See what it looks like when its squared up :D
I've used rope twists for simple (as in not overly ornate) door knockers and latch handles with students (when I was teaching at Surrey Docks Farm) sorry no photo's but they're not that hard to figure out.

Frosty sounds great but I dont have a lathe I use a 3 hole gizmo with long handles. I thread the stock through a piece of 1" pipe and that helps it stay stright (I cut a window in the pipe so I can see how the twist is progressing). Then twist til it looks right and finish. Thanks William

There are other options of course.

First, twisting a 20' length requires less exertion than does a 24" length. Of course you have to crank on it longer but you have a lot more mechanical advantage.

As the twist tightens it will increase it's resistance and after a couple lengths you'll be able to feel when it's right. A little variation is a good thing.

You can make a simple flywheel lathe headstock letting you build inertia in the flywheel while the twist is still loose and letting it do some of the work as it tightens. Increasing resistance will still talk to you but you won't be sweating as much.

Attaching the flywheel to a spring pole (lathe) will let you use foot power so the sweat quotient will go down more.

A little modification would let you use a rented electric pipe threader as well and those are slower, more powerful and far more controllable than a lathe.

As to what is and isn't blacksmithing. . . Pft! Set your own limits, don't let someone else's opinion set them for you. Smiths invented lathes millenia before iron was being worked. Wanna bet what Plinny the Elder would say if offered the use of electricity?

S'okay to do it how you wish in your shop so long as you're not misrepresenting your work to your customers. Honesty means far more to me than "traditional" anything.

Good luck, have fun.

Frosty