I Forge Iron

Jamaica Smith?

ironrosefarms

I am going on a mission trip to a orphanage in Jamaica next summer. My original purpose was to help with maintenance of some equipment they own. Things like a John Deere tractor and mowers and some wood working equipment that is in non operable condition. Anyways, tonight my pastor called and asked me if I might be able to teach some blacksmithing to some of the older boys from the orphanage. The orphanage is continually looking for ways to generate income and to teach the young men and women ways to support themselves upon leaving the home.

In talking with pastor further, I convinced him that building a forge is not much of a problem as with a bit of imagination I have seen just about anything made into a forge. I was already planning on taking tools down to leave there so adding a couple HF cross peins wouldn't take much more. As for an anvil, I know they have some I beam cut offs from some construction so I have already asked that those be saved.

Now for my what I am not sure of... here I use coal, from what I can find from looking at the international energy council website coal and coke is basically not available in Jamaica. So that puts me to homemade charcoal. I need to find out what woods I will find there that may work to make a decent charcoal??? If not charcoal then what, by my understanding propane is also not a possibility. The orphanage is a 2 1/2 hour drive from Kingston and about the same from Montego Bay (the two bigger cities). I am told that tools and such are incredibly expensive and for many to far away to obtain. This might actually make a forge a worthwhile venture if a fuel source can be worked out.

So thoughts and ideas on a fuel source? Anyone here from Jamaica?

Thanks in advance
James

A very noble cause sir! Were I wearing my hat, I'd doff it to you!

Never been to Jamaica, but I've jest got back from Sri Lanka, where I visited a smithing guild village (more on this later!). There were two local species of wood the smiths preferred to use, but when they couldn't get it (or when the forest rangers were looking) they had to use charcoal from the coconut tree. It works, but is not preferable. I think the general criteria for suitable wood are that there is a lot of it, it's fairly seasoned, and that it has a low wet/dry weight differential.

Don't forget to find out about the local scrap steel availability! Could be embarasing... ;-)

Edited by matt87

I googled "native trees of Jamaica" and the top site listed 6 species of trees. One was lignum vitae and one was mahogany - both are dense hardwoods that would probably make decent charcoal. However, I'd do like matt87 suggested and ask the locals what they use for making charcoal.

The locals will know what makes good charcoal.

The UN published a book on smithing in 3rd world areas that was written for Africa but would work well most anywhere, 3 volumes, I found a copy at a small college, you may want to hunt that down as it would be a great help with how to use what you have to make useful items.

I'll see if I can dig up the tital/info on it tonight if possible.

You may be able to purchase charcoal from someone locally who makes it.
When I was in St. Thomas there was a guy who made his living making charcoal and selling it to other locals who needed it, cheap if I recall.
Places like this are generally very poor area's so stuff like homemade charcoal is just part of life for them, and so is anything else that they can make versus having to import it.
Also I would like to tip my hat to you for being so generous and doing something as noble as that.

welder19

Charcoal is the cooking medium of choice in the rural communities along Jamaica's north coast, and is easy to locate. Local charcoal is made from Jamaican allspice (pimento) wood and is not an endangered species.

Edited by nett
yes

I googled UN Blacksmithing Manual and found them.

1992 88/2 Agricultural Engineering in Development. Intermediate Blacksmithing: A Training Manual (E,F,S)

1992 88/1 Agricultural Engineering in Development: Basic Blacksmithing: A Training Manual (E,F,S)

They are off the FAO publications page and are really good for smithing in third world countries!

You folks never cease to amazed me!

The orphanage is almost the middle of the island so I will do some checking on the charcoal availability in that area. I found a site by worldbank that is very interesting if your willing to sift through a long long document! it is about 20 years old but paints a decent picture of how charcoal is made and used specifically in Jamaica. Jamaica charcoal study

As for scrap steel? I know they have some rebar scrap from the construction (never been real fond of rebar for forging but...) Another great question for me to talk with the missionary in charge about.

Those manuals sound like a great resource and I will see what I can find on them.

Thanks again and any other ideas or info is more than welcome!
James

Here is a drum bellow design for a side draft forge that Brent Bailey posted at his site. The drum bellow is ingenious and took me awhile to understand that water needed to make it work. I believe the design would be well suited for Jamaica.

Brent Bailey Forge

Once a good fire source is demonstrated, anvil shaped pieces of iron will magically appear, plus some scrap iron and steel for use. Most all the steel will be from autos and trucks so I would advise learning the ASAE numbers on auto industry steel. Jamaicans are extremely resilient and thrifty so they will make things happen in their own "Soon Come" fashion, but remember, recycling is a necessity and have taken it to a fine art form; don't be surprised at what happens and appears. Enjoy.

Any Alexander G Weygers books would be a wonderful gift to leave with the fire keepers, especially The Making of Tools and The Modern Blacksmith. Used copies from bookstores would be more than appropriate. The Complete Modern Blacksmith would be the ultimate book for the hearth, they will understand it perfectly once the view it.

Thanks Nett and Nate, I have printed out the UN books and the FTP book, I don't know that I will take 100% of them because of the overall size and weight, but it won't be hard to pull out specific lessons and add some of the blue prints found here on IFI.

I don't know when I will get a go or no go on this but a lot of it depends on being able to pull it off.

It changes my focus for this year. I intended on focusing on getting my hammer control back and getting a decent stock of items to sell. Now it is to focus on hammer control and back to basics including forge welding. If I make anything to sell, it will just be a added bonus.