I Forge Iron

Hi could someone identify this forge please : )

Craigo

Recently I purchased this hand crank forge as you can see it needs some work, hopefully it can be restored back to working condition. I would appreciate any advice on restoring it and also an identification would be awesome. Thank you in advance. 

What a great community.

Regards Craig O

Forge 1.jpeg

Forge 2.jpeg

Forge 3.jpeg

The first thing I do is to free up anything that is supposed to move by soaking it with a 50/50 mixture of acetone and automatic transmission fluid (Dexron III works best) the next best penetrating oil is Kroil. The main thing is to not force or hammer on anything, old cast iron is easy to break., patience pays off.

It looks like your pan has clay/refractory in it. If so and it's in good condition I would leave it. The cast iron pans need to be lined to prevent cracking. Once everything is oiled up and turning smoothly, a wire brush will remove a lot of rust or spray/brush it good with a rust remover, I like Evapo-Rust. Check the blower fan blades, if any are missing or damaged it's pretty easy to make new ones. Also the belt is easy to make out of old leather belts that can be picked up at most thrift stores.