I Forge Iron

1/4" micro burner "pocket rocket"

Trevor84

The burners you're making work very well, the flame shown are beautiful. Were it me, I'd experiment with fundamental differences on a different series of burners. 

I do have a suggestion though. Your burner is oriented almost directly into the pocket formed by the forge wall directly across from the burner port. I believe if you aim the burner higher so the flame impinges at a shallower angle it will result in lower back pressure against the burner's performance while circulating the flame and heat more evenly through out the forge. 

Were it a larger forge lowering the orientation to impinge the floor at an angle would work as well, maybe better but in this size I think aiming higher is the better. If you change orientation, experiment with both and pic the one YOU like. Yes?

Frosty The Lucky.

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

Yes? 

Yes thank you I agree ... I hear you loud and clear, the goal waaaaas to get an air foil shape to the inner chamber and the burners flame was meant to run along the ceiling so you could lay small knife blank shapes on the floor with no direct flame.

The insulation shown is not the end result it was mid conception. Eventually I did a combo of 1-1.5 inch but padded the upper section where the flame hits closer to 2 inch thivk kinda sorta. The castable is maybe 3/8" thick so ya I probably looking at 40 - 50 cubic inch ID. 

The way I have the burner mounting tubes welded to the base not the forge makes it easy to readjust and level that burner out so it slides along the ceiling instead of helitting the corner like you say

Screenshot_20220504-125918_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220504-131549_Gallery.jpg

Mikey suggested two if these burners may run a frean forge so I'm gonna try a pair in this 15# tank, interior is 4"D 12" long. 

I tried two of my modified half inch EZ burners and there was just too my h flame for the space so I ended up running the forge with a single half inch burner angled towards the rear of the forge. 

I'm starting to think my new half inch burners pack the punch of my older 3/4" burners and possibly the 1/4" may replace my old half inch. 

I haven't ran enough gas through these forges to make any solid/reliable observations regarding efficiency, max temp and that stuff.

(Does it really matter if the tank of fuel lasts 1.5hours longer? Not to me really, especially since with my body it's race against time as soon as I stand up to when I have to call it a day. So the faster and hotter I can run the better, saving money is good but if it will take me a year to realize then meh it don't matter much.)

Screenshot_20220504-134225_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220504-132730_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220504-132348_Gallery.jpg

I agree Mike, if the flame face liner isn't too thick it should heat right up. It's really amazing how fast smaller forges come to temp even when the basic 3/4" to 350 cu/in ratio is followed. 

Lots of our guys have started using 1/2" T burners in forges around 200 cu/in and they heat right up and are screaming HOT. 

I have every confidence Trevor's 1/4" burners are good for at least 87 cu/in. Those puppies are high performance. 

Frosty The Lucky.

87 ci.....  Well than the double burner I have there should be primo, I think it's about 150ci or aprx 75 ci per burner. 

When it comes to swimming in the pool..... I have definitely been doing laps in pools like burners/forges 101 so when I dive in at the shallows I manage to slip into the water between the surface and the floor without smashing my face..... 

It's almost been 4 years since my first build which had come after almost a year of studying up. This is a simple 8 soft brick forge running a 1/2" Frosty T, I hadn't seen any 1/2" versions so I even had to message Jerry to confirm a dimension or two iirc, I still have the burner head on my bench. 

Screenshot_20220504-211253_Gallery.jpg