I Forge Iron

Columbian Machinist Vise Dumpster Find

Malleus

Around 5 or so years back, I dug this vise out of the dumpster at work.  No way was I going to let this thing go to the scrap yard!  I wish I had taken a before pic, but I just didn't think to do it.  It was covered in grease and thick black spray paint, and the main screw had a bunch of slack in it.  Today, I decided to clean it up a bit.  I completely disassembled it, and cleaned it with a wire wheel.  I got rid of the welding slag and a few high spots with a polishing wheel.  I kind of hated to mess up natural patina, but I also wanted to smooth it down.  I also put a washer on the main screw in between the sliding jaw and the screw stop to take up the slack. Seems to work much better now.  I might clean it up a little more and spray it with clear coat.  I can't believe they threw this thing in the trash!

IMG_0245.thumb.jpg.ff459912c603bd1735887d96cca7948b.jpg

IMG_0246.thumb.jpg.14f7d230f20c3fcf751ff68dd64aa88d.jpg

IMG_0247.thumb.jpg.7fec6574c989eda87540b9da5e2404cf.jpg

IMG_0248.thumb.jpg.a1631334397972f8e6e0d099cc8de580.jpg

Speaking of regrets...  about 2 years ago, a fairly good sized machine shop, which was local to me, permanently closed up shop.  One day I was working at a facility next to it, and I noticed they were throwing lots of stuff in a large dumpster out back.  I had to walk over to the machine shop to have something made, and as I was walking back, I took a look in the dumpster.  It was full of all kind of tool steel, as well as machine parts, and parts to anything you would find in a machine shop.  I wanted to do some major dumpster diving, but my co-worker was in a hurry to get our job done.  I think about that a lot, and really regret letting him get in the way of me retrieving some potentially very cool stuff.  What a shame.