I Forge Iron

What IS It?

Flea Market Friday.  I got this as a "to boot" with a sawmill blade and sledge hammer.  The knob and shaft/plate turn 1/4 of a revolution.  A jabberbox while I was buying it said a broom holder.  The guy selling it said he had no idea and he's been taking it there for a year.  I get a 5$ discount next time if I can tell him what it's purpose is.  Its about a foot tall.

20220225_142904_compress59.jpg

20220225_142230_compress58.jpg

I have seen broom holders similar to that, but never so large and heavily built. The ones I’ve seen, If you stand them on the end as you have, they’d be a couple inches tall. You would mount them to the wall via those holes at the base. Stick the broom handle into the slot from below, and the weight of that ball would hold it in place with that wedge shape. To remove, you’d lift the ball to release the broom handle. 

It seems to me that one so large and heavy duty would surely get in the way when doing the housekeeping. I would guess it’s for holding some sort of tool in the same way, maybe in a shop instead of a cramped broom closet?

If that’s the case, and I think it is, something looks a little “off” about it. Like maybe it’s been disassembled and put back together wrong. Do you think that knob and handle are original?

Idk, it would be a pretty thin mop handle even half open.  I googled the only number on it.  Much mumbo jumbo.  I like the flower embellishment up top.  I want that 5$ discount!

20220225_145659_compress10.jpg

20220225_145625_HDR_compress10.jpg

I have a re-print of sears & roebuck.  I might pull it off the shelf tonight.  Too bad you get side tracked reading the details of the latest wood burning stove.  I never get anywhere reading that thing!

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

long slow trawl through the 100+ year old sears roebuck catalog

Now Debi really thinks I'm nuts, just spent the last 3 hours going through the 1902 Sears Roebuck catalog # 112 (all 1198 pages) and didn't see anything that remotely resembled it. I'm thinking some sort of rope brake (dog) for clinching a bitter end of say a block & tackle (just a guess though). The catalog is available as a pdf free download. I tried to upload it but the forum won't take an upload that large.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/66829-old-catalogs-related-to-blacksmithing/

19 hours ago, SHC said:

Do you think that knob and handle are original?

I went out this morning and looked at it and it looks original.  I also saw a crack in the arched section on top.  I suppose I will save it for a sculpture or put it in the oddity collection.  Maybe I'll ask him for a $5 "defective merchandise" discount next week.... :)

Still be nice to identify it.

Edited by Nodebt
Fix a thing

13 hours ago, seldom (dick renker) said:

Wonder if it a rig to hold brooms while they are being tied

That's kinda what I think it is. I'm pretty sure it's for holding the broom while you trim the straw. There was a man who made brooms in my town when I was little and he used something very similar in conjunction with a shear to trim up the brooms after he wrapped them on a foot powered machine. The only difference I can see with this and the device he used is that his had a foot pedal instead of a weighted ball. 

Pnut

Edited by pnut