I Forge Iron

Induction Forge - Will it melt ?

Hello everyone hope you all good in health .

I am in the process searching for a 15kw Induction Forge . I have searched read for the past 7-10 days. I have seen several ``Youtube`` videos which i try to avoid if are not from professionals (welders , blacksmiths etc)

So my main question is  . A 15kw 220v will it melt steel in a crucible ? I don't want to cast steel . I want to melt it and then do the annealing and forging process as a normal piece of steel.

I have been reading lately for damascus/wootz/crucible steel and all that triggered the need of the induction heater .

So will it melt the steel ?

If i have said something is stated wrong or mistyped please note that my speak read language is Greek .(Please do correct me )

Have a nice day everyone .

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have one of the 15kw induction forges. They actually draw something more like 7kw continuous and the output on the coil is 800 amps full on, which is at a lower voltage (5?), so you're getting a fraction of the kw at the coil, and then you get a further loss if you're not using something optimized for the coil - which is more of a question of how much. 

Knowing that still doesn't give you your answer. Mine came from a US seller and not from one of the chinese sellers. it's the same basic machine, though I have seen some reviews suggesting wiring issues in some of the imports. All that said, you can check the US Solid page to see if they have a manual for the induction heater I'm talking about - there is one, but I don't know if it had information about a crucible as I don't have or use one with it. I see some of the direct ship imports come with a small crucible, but from now vague memory, the crucibles held a much smaller amount than 1 1/2 kilos and the spec list didn't provide anything that large in terms of metal in the crucible or I'd have remembered it because I'd do that. 

Following up - the manual says 1kilo of smelting copper, gold, silver, etc. Iron and steel aren't mentioned. My sense from using the machine to forge and heat treat would be no. It would take a LONG time for the machine to heat that much metal, too.